Is it a sin to repaint with other than original color?

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
Recently got a 46, 3.6, firestone/scott. I have fixed all dents and leaks in tank and looking forward to repainting it. My research tells me it was painted dull aluminum. Pretty boring. Later firestones were loch lomond green. Decals are pricey. I don't plan on showing or reselling unless I grow tired of this hobby. I was thinking about doing the tank and cowl in metallic green with some ebay firestone decal stickers and polishing the lower unit if it doesn't require a lot of work. Am I'm ruining this motor by doing this? and how can I tell if it is a scott or a firestone? Also, could anyone post some photos of any good looking 3.6 motors?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is it a sin to repaint with other than original color?

Firestone is mod. 133-6-460, 462,463.464 if rewind starter. Scott Atwater mod is 461 or 467. apparently the 46 designating a 1946 motor.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It's your motor so you can paint it any color you want. However, I don't much appreciate motors painted the wrong color. That goes for "close" but not correct colors also. I'd rather see it original, unmolested even if beat up, than wrong color. But that's just me. Your mileage may differ.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

As long as it's your motor you should paint it whatever color makes you happy. If you ever sell it the next owner can decide what color works for him; it's only a coat of paint.

M

mrcrabs

I'm with f_R would rather see it ragged out (rat motor) but running well....When I see great old motors with funky green or purple tanks and pink legs it tells me alot about that feller:faint2:

Later firestones were loch lomond green

are you sure? I think Loch Lomond was a SA color only, I have been trying to establish the base color of my 54 Firetstone so don't toss a curve ball in there. If it actual was Loch Lomond that would be nice but everything I have read say ? for the firestone.....point me to that info please--->:watermelon:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I don't know what they call this, but it certainly is green. Best looking Firestones, in my humble opinion.

Attachments

• 1949 Firestone motors.jpg
    1949 Firestone motors.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have not found any trace of green or dull aluminum on the tank or cowl. under the red was kinda yellow and I think it was some kinda primer. The reference to loch lomond green was for a SA from nymarine.ca . Also I see two different decals mentioned. a single for early and another set for the 3.6. I have found few photos of later firestones such as the 1949's but that's for 49.

M

mrcrabs

You could be right on the Loch Lomond Green especially on the older firestones, but thats a Scott Atwater paint chart...says nothing about the Firestone color and its not really a complete list of the greens that Scott use as far as I can tell, my 52 10hp is a deep dark green. I have seen some nice restored firestones in the color F_R posted but from my old 54 firestone and the one Doug Penn youtubed they seems even lighter than Loch Lomond. and it most likley is now that I look back at the older ones.

Oh well maybe I will go with a pastel yellow, I have a pastel blue 57 10hp SA....got to love them pastels, makes me want to head down to Southbeach and look at some :watermelon: 's LOL

M

mrcrabs

View attachment 177836View attachment 177837 Ok I guess this is Loch Lomond Green on my 53-54 Firestone, and my 46 462's decal is NA....I talked with the guys who make the SA & firestone waterslide's and they want me to make measuremnets for a run of these.....so they tell me my 46's have the first original firstone decal....sadley enough this picture was took before I owned it and it has faded bad and I have two of these both with this decal....they show up good in a photo but hard to see in the day light unless you rub it with water.
Personally I would go with the silver if you have a 462 FS....I have seen one with a firestone decal at the rear of the tank....its on the web but I doubt its the original the original had a silver operation instruction decal back there...mine is badly deteriorated, I will have to look at a OLd champion to see what it said LOL.... google search images for firestone outboard and you will find it...its nice old 462 in a old collection.

F_R this is my favorite Scott Color, I wish I had a barn fullView attachment 177838

Last edited:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I once had a firestone, just like the upper on on the right. Gotta love the "football helmet" engine cover. :D

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the input, thats why I come to this forum. Just don't think I can do the pastel yellow, unless I knew that was the original color. However was thinking about a pastel blue with a Ivory recoil and lower unit on my 3.6 wizard. Seems like I keep getting motors that I can't get decals for.

M

mrcrabs

pastel yellow was a Scott color on 1957, they did a stylization change in 57 and the emblems even had tail fins like the 57 chevy for the 10hp and up and the smaller hp units went in pastels also ....so I guess why not a pastel of some shade on the old 46 :joyous:. do it up perty....heck its your :watermelon:

Hey Zephyr, Ed stoller gave me this old motor and it had been stored in a flooding basement in Connecticut and ruined the top cylinder only, I have a nice clean very low hour motor on my bench that I have put new crank seals in and really I'm ready to put the case back together then tie into the lower unit which seems to have missed the flooding, the only reason I decided to dive in on this was the hood...I liked it too and I may never get another chance at this model, not that many around....my 52 SA 10hp is in really sweet condition and I doubt I will ever see another like it here in southern IL, I got a thing for odd ball old SA 10hp outboards

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I have a late 40's 3.6 Scott that I may end up finding a home for. It was stuck, when I got it, so I'll have to see how bad the cylinder is pitted. If it's savable, I may clean it up and restore it.

M

mrcrabs

I'm working on a my birth date outboard a 1958 3.6 SA that must have had 2 tanks of gas run in it and then the inside of the tank left to rust away....I just finished de rusting that thing and two coats of the red coat tank sealer....WOW thats some strong smelling stuff:happy:
You should see the float in this thing, she looks brand new....I got to ask some questions on my restoration post later maybe you and F_R can give me some advise on sealing the old floats with the red coat

Happy New year Iboaters

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

wow, two tanks and left to rust?? That should be illegal. :D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Good, bad or indifferent, I don't coat cork floats any more. At least not if I can help it. The 18-7208 float (Mercury) is made of Nitrophyl, that black plastic stuff that is Ethanol and gas proof. It can be drilled, shaped, modified to work in a variety of carburetors, including the Scott/Tillotson. Available here at iboats

M

mrcrabs

Thanks F_R, I had seen you mention that merc float a dozen times but never knew the part number and had never seen one to understand it was round in shape, so yeah thats they way to go fo sho...I did checked several places just now online ( out of stock ) so that must be the way to go and there all gone :mad:, but looks like I will be coating these few I have made from new cork for now and this 58 SA 3.6'e float looks brand new with a clear hard coat of something on it??..... so just working with what I have for now....I will eventually lay hands on some of those mercs if the price isn't crazy.

Thanks again Frank, you have inlightened me sir

PS, I guess the Mayan Indians were wrong...the world didn't end in 2012 like they predicted....see you just can't trust some people ;)

M

mrcrabs

So this guy is calling it what I thought was "Loch Lomond Green" he calls it a "Sage metalic mist" firestone 3.6hp outboard motor - YouTube maybe this is the real firestone color???

cool video for resto/repaint of the firestone, maybe he's a groupie here...

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice looking little motor, think I saw it on e-bay yesterday. I think because of the tiller handle and the head it is a mac and location of petcock. just my thots, looks great.