Parting Line Seal

HowlinGale

Cadet
I'm rebuilding my 85hp 1989 Force, do I have to replace the red (spaghetti) parting line seal as it looks to be in good condition and is fixed in place with sealant. I don't want to remove it unecessarily. If leaving the original seal in place my thoughts were to double up with a smear of gasket seal?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Parting Line Seal

Your POSITIVE?????? it's ok?????
Then don't change it.
I would.
Ask yourself??? Why am I rebuilding?? What caused the failure??
Sucking air from a bad seal???
You should use sillycone not gasket sealer.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Fix it right the first time!!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The crankcase spaghetti seal is not really necessary. I believe that Merc did away with it in later engines and OMC never used it. You can leave it in the groove or remove it, but it is best to remove it and clean the crankcase mating surfaces. It comes out easily and will retain its shape when you put it back.

I have used various things with good results: I have used small gray screen splining to replace the red seal when it did break. I have used black and white silicone to seal it in. I have used red locktite anaerobic sealer like OMC uses. In fact, I have simply filled the crankcase groove with silicone sealer.

The simple fact is that the two surfaces of the crankcase are machined so well that they will usually seal well when the engine is run. You can use almost anything that is heat and oil resistant. Just be certain to put a little dollop at the point where the seal meets the upper and lower crankshaft bearings.

Remember: There is only about 2-6 psi vacuum and pressure inside the crankcase while running--not a lot!

HowlinGale

Cadet

Thanks guys. I'll remove it and replace it with Viton cord, fixed in place with silicone, after cleaning the crankcase surfaces.