Merc 454 Intake

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I have a 89 Sea Ray 24' with a 454. I have owned it going on the third year. It currently runs good, but the previous owner ran it in salt water and the intake is starting to look poor. I would like to replace it with an aluminum intake but wanted to get an opinion if the aluminum intake would be better or cause reliability issues.

Also if I go aluminum can I use an intake off of a automobile, or is there differences? Thanks for any help.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Merc 454 Intake

If you're in freshwater, then use an aluminuim intake by all means, but if you ever put in salt water.... Go cast iron.

Off a car engine? Would be better a truck engine. Car engines tend to be tuned more towards top-end where as truck engine tune is much closer to a boat engine, nice flat torque curve without the nasty peaky bits...

Chris..........

RogersJetboat454

Commander

A dual plane with long runners would suit you well. Just make sure you match the intake to the style of intake ports the heads on your engine has (either oval port which it most likely is, or square port).

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help. After looking at different intake setups I assume that I would not want a high rise as that will push the torque curve past the rpm range of a boat. Is that correct?

I have posted a picture of the intake. I believe that my intake is square but thought I would make sure.20121227_155641.jpg

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of the information and help! KL

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the intake that the link goes to. But I am unsure if how much choke would mount on the new intake. I have added a picture of my intake. Would my choke mount on the new intake or is there something else that I can do?

image.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

I like the intake that the link goes to. But I am unsure if how much choke would mount on the new intake. I have added a picture of my intake. Would my choke mount on the new intake or is there something else that I can do?

View attachment 178492

Ayuh,.... You'll have to convert the carb to an Electric Choke, insteada a stove choke...

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What exectly does that require? Is the power wire straight from the batt? And how would the choke mount to the carb?

Bondo

Staff member

What exectly does that require? Is the power wire straight from the batt? And how would the choke mount to the carb?

Donno,.... ya didn't say which carb ya got.... probably an ole Quadra-jet...

It's old enough,... I'd just buy a matchin Edlebrock, with an electric choke, for yer new intake,....

Electric chokes are usually wired into the ignition circuit...

Speakrdude

Ensign

(It's the unused purple wire thats laying there all wire tied up with a connector on the end)

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe that it is a carter. I had it rebuilt last year and had thought it was a guadrajet but he said it was a carter. By that sounds of it it's not too involved. I am excited to start buying parts. I have boatin fever!

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I believe that it is a carter. I had it rebuilt last year and had thought it was a guadrajet but he said it was a carter. By that sounds of it it's not too involved. I am excited to start buying parts. I have boatin fever!

Post a picture.
Carter built some Quadrajets under contract with Rochester.