Sailboat Interior ceiling

stevieb7

Recruit
I have a 24ft sloop and the ceiling is covered with a thin piece of plywood with a nice veneer outer covering. It is flaking off with age. I was wondering what I could cover it over with as it is well glued and I would make a mess trying to remove it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Sailboat Interior ceiling

New thin veneer, applied per the suppliers suggested glue up/lamination schedule.....

Depending on your location, some lumber yards stock door skin, which is a large sheet of thin veneer that may be stained & varnished to appear like a 'nice' teak or mahogany similar to what is currently installed...

But if you intend to cover it w/ anything, the loose & flaking will need to be removed, and depending on what you replace it w/, you may need to fill & sand to a smooth surface. Else the new materials may telegraph the imperfections left behind by the flaking....

Pix of the flaking & an overall shot of the ceiling you're trying to resto would help

Welcome to iboats

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sailboat Interior ceiling

If you're gonna be a blow boater, better learn to speak sailboat.

WORD:
Ceiling
MEANING:
The inside planking or plating in the hold of a merchant vessel, laid across the floors and carried up the sides of the holds to the level of the beams. A mechanism for limiting the amount of goods imported into port state under preference arrangement.
WORD:
Floor ceiling
MEANING:
Wood covering on the tops of tanks to protect the metal from accidental impact.
WORD:
Spar ceiling
MEANING:
Strips of timber fixed to the frames of a ship, often horizontally but some times vertically, to keep cargo away from the sides of the ship, to avoid both damage and condensation.

OVERHEAD (noun)
The noun OVERHEAD has 6 senses:

1. the expense of maintaining property (e.g., paying property taxes and utilities and insurance); it does not include depreciation or the cost of financing or income taxes
2. (computer science) the processing time required by a device prior to the execution of a command
3. (computer science) the disk space required for information that is not data but is used for location and timing
4. a transparency for use with an overhead projector
5. (nautical) the top surface of an enclosed space on a ship
6. a hard return hitting the tennis ball above your head

So a ceiling is a wall and a overhead is a ceiling, wonder where the floor is?

Pictures are always welcome here as we are all boat junkies, even sailboats. Welcome:)