1975 9.9 evinrude exhaust relief ports

aliet009

Recruit
Hello,
I am wondering if the exhaust relief ports are supposed to have a rubber seal or gasket on them. After I dropped the lower unit there was a piece of rubber there but it was badly damaged and i am unsure if it is supposed to be there or if it was from something else and just ended up there? I removed it and now i can see through the holes to the other side. If the rubber is supposed to be there then what is it called and can i buy it?

Thanks in advance.

kbait

Commander
Re: 1975 9.9 evinrude exhaust relief ports

You found a chunk of one of the upper mounts (#5), or thrust mount (#41). Evinrude Exhaust Housing Parts for 1975 9.9hp 10554C Outboard Motor Common for those to break-up over time, as they get eaten away by exhaust gasses in the exhaust chamber. Just keep using your motor until the mounts fail. You'll know, as the motor will be VERY sloppy side to side and fore and aft when they let loose. Replacement of the 2 upper mounts + thrust mount requires powerhead removal, and $150 or so in replacement parts.. unless you want to rig up a fix as the machinist shows: Maintaining Johnson 9.9 Powerhead/Gearcase (about 3/4 down the page).

Good luck!