what size prop do i need

chief88

Cadet
i just bought a 1989 starcraft 221v islander.it didn't come with a prop on it.could anyone recommend a prop for this boat?it has a 3.0l inline 6 cyl with a alpha1 outdrive.i plan on doing most of my fishing on lake erie which can get very rough.i'm looking for a inbetween prop between speed and power.any help would be very helpful.tnks:joyous:

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what size prop do i need

Hi,
There is a prop selector here on Iboats just go to props type in engine then drive then pick the options basically 3 blade vs. 4 blade is a option and aluminum or stainless also. There is many info here on the forums in past threads.
take care

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i just bought a 1989 starcraft 221v islander.it didn't come with a prop on it.could anyone recommend a prop for this boat?it has a 3.0l inline 6 cyl with a alpha1 outdrive.i plan on doing most of my fishing on lake erie which can get very rough.i'm looking for a inbetween prop between speed and power.any help would be very helpful.tnks:joyous:

What you are looking for is the standard Mercruiser prop. It is a compromise between speed and power. What prop came with the boat, and what was the WOT rpm?

I assume you meant inline 4 cylinder engine, since the 3.0 is a 4 not a 6.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've got a Mercruiser 3.0 liter inline 4 cylinder with an Alpha One outdrive and it came with a three bladed 14.25" aluminum prop with a 19" pitch. I've now got a three bladed 14.125" SS Solas prop with a 19" pitch. I could probably go up to a 21" and be OK because I am capable of overspeeding my engine if I just ram it wide open with the 19".

jestor68

Commander

Please clarify what motor is in your boat; as there is no 3.0 liter in line 6 cylinder Mercruiser stern drive.

chief88

Cadet

sorry for the wrong info and thanks for all the replys.it is a inline 6 165 merc.i just got it and it didn't come with a prop.the engine and outdrive were just put in recently after being rebuilt.the engine is bored 30 over if anyone thinks that will make a difference.tnks again

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It appears they have deserted you. I don't consider myself an expert but I think a 19" 4 blade is a reasonable starting point.
It isn't likely to be too much prop and if its too light you can still use it by watching your rpm and not exceeding 4600.
It may pay to try to find a dealer that will let you try props with the understanding you will buy one.Usually requires a deposit.
The 4 blade should get you on plane easier and stay on plane better at reduced throttle also may give better control on the water and at the dock.

Bondo

Staff member

It appears they have deserted you. I don't consider myself an expert but I think a 19" 4 blade is a reasonable starting point.
It isn't likely to be too much prop and if its too light you can still use it by watching your rpm and not exceeding 4600.

It may pay to try to find a dealer that will let you try props with the understanding you will buy one.Usually requires a deposit.
The 4 blade should get you on plane easier and stay on plane better at reduced throttle also may give better control on the water and at the dock.

Ayuh,.... I agree that a 19" pitch is a Great place to start, 'n it oughta be 'bout right,...

In an Islander hull, the 4 blade may not be necessary, but it shouldn't hurt either...
If ya stumble across a 19" 3 blade, I'd give It a try...

'n I believe 4600 rpms, is at or very near the absolute upper limit of happiness for that motor,...
Personally, I'd shoot for 4200/ 4400 rpms at Wot, myself...

jestor68

Commander

The Solas Amita 15-3/10 X 19 aluminum prop might be a good prop for that boat.

chief88

Cadet

ya it sure seemed like that.i messed up on the engine size the first time.i just put down what i was told.i'm a car mechanic not a boat mechanic.lol.it didn'y come with a prop and some other little things.thanks for the help.i appreciate it.

chief88

Cadet

i haven't been on this site very long but really like how people help eachother out.need ant help on vechicles i'm good at that.not so good on the boat stuff yet lol.thanks again everyone