Mariner 5hp , Flywheel stuck , HELP!

Frank Howard

Cadet
A friend of mine just bought a 5hp mariner for the lake. we had been using it and it worked great, but after a couple of days it started to slow down after we would go at full speed. Eventually it wouldn't even hit top speed. So about a week ago we were going back and the motor started slowing down and then cut suddenly with a loud quick noise. He tried pulling the pullstart cord, but it wouldn't budge one bit. So we ot back by trolling motor and pulled the pullstart off. Pullstart worked fine, tried turning the flywheel but it barely moved and then it wouldn't budge. It does rotate the opposite way though. All the event happened in a relativly 3 week period.
Any advice on how to fix the problem or prevent it is greatly appreciated! :confused:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mariner 5hp , Flywheel stuck , HELP!

A friend of mine just bought a 5hp mariner for the lake. we had been using it and it worked great, but after a couple of days it started to slow down after we would go at full speed. Eventually it wouldn't even hit top speed. So about a week ago we were going back and the motor started slowing down and then cut suddenly with a loud quick noise. He tried pulling the pullstart cord, but it wouldn't budge one bit. So we ot back by trolling motor and pulled the pullstart off. Pullstart worked fine, tried turning the flywheel but it barely moved and then it wouldn't budge. It does rotate the opposite way though. All the event happened in a relativly 3 week period.
Any advice on how to fix the problem or prevent it is greatly appreciated! :confused:

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...
My Guess is, you were runnn' bad, or contaminated fuel, which lead to a lean condition, which leads to detonation, which burnt up yer motor...

I'd sooner think it's got internal problems, 'n the flywheel Ain't the problem, at All...

Frank Howard

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...
My Guess is, you were runnn' bad, or contaminated fuel, which lead to a lean condition, which leads to detonation, which burnt up yer motor...

I'd sooner think it's got internal problems, 'n the flywheel Ain't the problem, at All...[/QUOTMy friend had bought the motor off good ol' craigs :lol:and was using the same fuel. The motor was running fine on that gas for about a day though. If what you said was the case is there anything I could do? Is there anything else other then that that could have happened? He is new to boating.

Capt Ken

Commander

Tie a rope to the motor, paddle out to your favorite fishing spot and use it for an anchor. Cost more to rebuild it than it's worth. If its an early Mariner, then it's a Yamaha but no Yamaha parts will fit it.

Frank Howard

Cadet

Tie a rope to the motor, paddle out to your favorite fishing spot and use it for an anchor. Cost more to rebuild it than it's worth. If its an early Mariner, then it's a Yamaha but no Yamaha parts will fit it.[/QUOTE

Oh man.. I just cant beleive the motor went from amazing to fishing anchor in less than a couple of weeks. :facepalm: My friend wont be back from vacation for two weeks so Ill try and see if theres a glimmer of hope left in the situation. If there is even a tiny speck of hope please tell me, but if not thanks for all the help. You guys probably stopped me from endlessly researching a lost cause! :lol:

Frank Howard

Cadet
Price Estimate For Broken 5hp Mariner?!

Price Estimate For Broken 5hp Mariner?!

Just found out a motor of my friends had major internal problems dealing with the pistons and what not it seems. What I would like to know is how much money is eft in the lower unit which is fine and all other parts of the motor besides the actual engine. (Carb is fine) It is a 5hp mariner from what i think is 1990. I know theres not much there but I just want a number please. I dont deal with these types of outboards, so this isnt my area of expertise.
Any answers are welcome and greatly appreciated! :)