power trim on my 1991 70 hp force

glenner

Seaman Apprentice
just want to say thanks to those who responded to my thermostat question the other day...
going to order a new one to be safe...
i have the motor on a stand with the powerhead out and i want to tilt it up so i can change the water pump...
again my manual does not help with the unit that has no eletrical hooked to it..
dont want to start bleeding lines at this point but i am wondering if just remove a bolt or two so i can get clearence..
if so what bolts should i be looking at?
i see 2 on port side, but the pump is on the starboard side and i don not want to remove it
thanks so much
glenn

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: power trim on my 1991 70 hp force

You are going to either put power to the trim or leave it down. Being its on a stand, you wouldn't be able to tilt it with the bypass screwed out. Unbolting the tilt body isn't going to get you anywhere being its wedged between the brackets.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Your power tilt motor is a two wire motor. inside the engine cowl will be (or should be) two heavy wires from the motor, one blue and one green. They are connected by quick-connect bullets. Disconnect them and jump the blue one to the positive battery terminal and the green one to the negative terminal. The engine will tilt up. Do the opposite to tilt down.

If the wires do not have a quick-connect, then connect the positive and negative battery cables to the engine. The signal wires from the dashboard or control handle always have a quick-connect. Disconnect the fine wire that is either blue or has a blue trace and jump to the positive battery cable. The engine will tilt up.

glenner

Seaman Apprentice

wow, that worked perfectly frank !...now i have room to remove the bottom end and change the water pump.
just to let you know that i had the bottom end draining for the last 3 days...i have about 12 oz of oil with no evidence of water and no metal whatsoever...that means seals are good..which makes me happy cause Ive spent a lot on this thing...
by the way the engine stand i built is fantastic..i found the instructions on you tube...it is very strong, sturdy, and easy to move.
it was easy to build, and cost me less than 50 bucks.
i would like to share the video for other members but im not sure if that is allowed here..
all the best in the new year