Getting a custom cover made???

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys (and Merry Christmas),

My custom cover that came with my boat is officially SHOT. It's the snap on time and it fits like a glove, but it's just got too many holes in it...

I'm in central PA (Schuylkill Haven). Anybody have any suggestions on where to get a cover made? I've tried some searching online with little luck...

I've been throwing around the idea of just getting a universal cover, but the best part of the custom cover is being able to drive with it on. I keep it in a carport all year so being waterproof doesn't really matter. It's more just keeping the dirt and greedy eyes off of it when I'm driving and on vacation...

The custom cover came with the boat so I'm not sure what they cost but I've read to expect somewhere in the range of $500? It's a 17' runabout...

Thanks,
Austin

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Getting a custom cover made???

No 'universal' cover will fit as well as a custom-made, trust me.
Back when I lived in Pa I had a beautiful cockpit cover made by a shop in Slatington, but that was about 20 years ago. Don't remember their name but they were only a mile or so from the turnpike exit. It wasn't cheap, maybe $500 back then- but it was done right!

Another possibility would be this: CopyCovers - Custom Sewing Duplication Services Using Sunbrella Fabrics and Other Quality Materials

Diesel Demon

Cadet

I have a Fisher boat cover for my Grady. Very nice heavy canvas. Been through NJ snow and LA heat now for 4 yrs and holding up great. There located in Burlington, NJ. Pricy but worth the money.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Start by looking in your local phone book for upholstery shops, Most can make you one. Nothing will work as well or as easy.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Expect to spend at least $500, but worth every penny.

You might try contacting whoever made your existing cover as they probably still have the patterns (that'll save a few bucks). The dealer that originally sold the boat may be able to help.

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Second vote for Fisher Canvas. Had my winter cover made by them. Very heavy duty and beautifully made with waist draw rope, laced bow flaps, vents, and reinforced tie down tabs. Cost about $900 shipped, but a lighter duty towing cover should cost a bit less. I'm not sure they make anything but winter covers, though.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I spent $500 on a universal cover and it leaks and does not fit exactly right.
Next time I get one custom made. I know it will cost over 1K but you get what you pay for.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't even think about an auto-upholstery shop (not sure why) There's one down the road from me that I know does good work... I'll give them a call tomarrow and see what they say.

I would consider sending it in for a duplicate, but I've redone the entire boat and changed the layout a bit so it doesn't fit as good since I did that.... so it would probably be best for them to start from scratch.

Thanks,
Austin

NYBo

Admiral

Is the old cover intact enough to use as a pattern for a new one? How are you with a sewing machine? Homemade is also a way to go.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Is the old cover intact enough to use as a pattern for a new one? How are you with a sewing machine? Homemade is also a way to go.

Angola Canvas holds patterns for a large number of boats. They can make the cover out of a variety of materials.

Angola Canvas Company

I haven't had a cover made by them myself yet, but I'll probably get one soon. I have talked to them on the phone and they seem to be reasonable people. A full cover for my boat (22' cabin cruiser) is $840 out of Sunbrella fabric.