1975 Evinrude 9.9 questions

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 2 rookie questions about my 1975 Evinrude 9.9. Attached are 2 photos. First question?.I always read that when the coil casing is cracked, to replace the coil. Mine are cracking as shown in one photo, can I just epoxy the cracks (or ?5200? them) ? The motor runs like a top. Second question?.I winterized the motor and was going to take ?the prop off to clean and check for fishing line wrapping. When I turned the motor up (horizontal) to work on the prop, about ?+ of a cup of water came out of a ?drain? hole on the bottom of the motor. Hole is indicated in second photo. I see no hole there as shown in the service manual., so was wondering if some previous owner may have drilled this to drain bottom completely? Any thoughts are appreciatedcoils.jpghole.jpg

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 Evinrude 9.9 questions

I've used epoxy on cracking coils in the past and never had any problems after doing it , even fixed a hot start issue I had with my old 88 Johnson.

That hole is supposed to be there to drain the water out of the lower unit.

If that motor is new to you and you have not already done so, change the lower unit oil to check for water or any metal shavings.

nwcove

Admiral

i personally would not waste my time trying to repair those cracked coils......they will let you down at the worst possible time!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Best to just replace the coils before you get stranded some place. I've seen coils like that work for a long time but you just never know.

kbait

Commander

I taped up my friends cracked coils on his '75 15hp w/3M electrical tape about 5 years ago. They were both previously arcing to ground through the cracks. No issues since fix. I wouldn't even try to seal/tape coils on universal magneto's (coils under flywheel).. just replace that type.

You can seal yours and save $60 or so, or replace and know they're good into perpetuity. Your call.

Good luck!

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One of the sponsors here you can get a new coil for $34 each, Look up Leeroys ramblings , This fine Gent has an excellent blog on these engines covers everything, His blog covers it all in laymans terms

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the responses. I think I will go with replacing the coils as I use the motor in salt water in a bay, so rowing with wind and tides when the motor dies from a cracked coil would be my luck. Good little winter project anyway. I do read “Leeroy’s ramblings, but some questions are not always answered there. An excellent site though.
Was wondering if I replaced the coils, would the timing and all stay the same?
A healthy new year to all.