Helium?

jreau

Cadet
Just a wacky thought but has anyone ever tried inflating the tubes of a hard bottom with helium?

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Helium?

Helium is expensive gas and inflating SIB pontoons would do little in the way of increased performance, or fun as the thickness of the SIB material would negate any kind of lift. Also, helium tends to escape/leak through valves very easily and you'd have to constantly be adding helium . Inflating a boat with argon gas might produce some interesting minor physical effects? If you stuck your ear to the pontoons while in water you'd probably hear a lot more from the underwater world. Might also insulate the occupants a teeny tiny bit ifmore they were sitting on the tubes in their shorts during a Antarctic cruise.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know some hard core deep divers and they were having problems even getting helium last year.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

The small molecule size will cause the helium to escape more quickly than air molecules, either through the fabric itself or through small leaks in the seams or valves.

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bet you could fill up one of the toy-like vinyl boats with helium and bounce it around the house as a play toy. However, what a waste of helium. Better use is in diving and especially with closed-circuit rebreathers where a little helium can go a long ways. And yes, getting usable grade stuff is getting harder.

What would be far more fun is filling it up with carbon dioxide (cheaper than argon) and see what this does. With a molecular wt of 44 it's dense stuff and could be used for a number of physics-related experiments which could be a lot of fun.

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a nice website which lists the molecular weight of various gases. Nitrogen gas would be a lot of fun too. I guess as expensive as CO2? Gotta find some guys who brew beer. :)

My favorite gas to try in this hypothetical would be toxic Toulene gas with a weight of 92. Filling a inflatable with this would be a lot of fun, not to mention dangerous. You could see your SIM dissolve on site!

Gases - Densities