Couldn't get through to run background check to purchase firearm. Anybody else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Not getting political here, but just have a simple question. I bought a firearm yesterday and the FFL dealer was on hold for 54 minutes before getting through to run the background check portion. They said the longest they've ever waited previously was 10 minutes.

This morning at 10:00 AM my dad went to do the same. The dealer couldn't even get in the que to be on hold. They tried all day long, couldn't even get in, and hasn't been able to complete his purchase.

Anybody else having similar problems? I'm wondering if it's this dealer, just the wrong day, or a bigger issue.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Couldn't get through to run background check to purchase firearm. Anybody else?

My brother owns a large gun shop and we are familiar with the regulations....... gun sales have skyrocketed and the only way to sum it up is "tis the season' be diligent. It's the system being worked on overload and not your dealer.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Couldn't get through to run background check to purchase firearm. Anybody else?

It's the eve of the Mayan apocalypse... of course you're not going to be able to buy a gun!

If you don't have enough firearms and ammunition stock piled by now you've waited too long.

I stocked up back in the late 90's for the big Y2K apocalypse... still got 50 cans of Spam and 100 lbs. of white rice down in the bunker.:cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't think the Mayan apocalypse has anything to do with it. I think people fear that they had better get one now or they never will be allowed to.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I don't think the Mayan apocalypse has anything to do with it. I think people fear that they had better get one now or they never will be allowed to.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

My personal opinion is that it will not happen though, and I hope it doesn't either

bassman284

Commander

It's the eve of the Mayan apocalypse... of course you're not going to be able to buy a gun!

If you don't have enough firearms and ammunition stock piled by now you've waited too long.

I stocked up back in the late 90's for the big Y2K apocalypse... still got 50 cans of Spam and 100 lbs. of white rice down in the bunker.:cool:

That Spam ought to be reaching its full pontentialities by now.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Good to hear it's just the system. My dealer told me that on Black Friday 184,000 new guns were registered. Their longest hold time was 10 minutes. What volume do you think it takes for a 54 minute wait, or to make it so you can't even get in the hold que? That's an unbelievable number. I feel bad for the guy trying to buy a .22 rimfire for his kid for Christmas.

They plan on trying first thing again tomorrow, hopefully the results will be better.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I think people fear that they had better get one now or they never will be allowed to.

It's too late for that too, stores are already taking them off the shelves and not selling them. This will increase the value of the ones people already have, and those that want one will pay a premium for them... if they can find one.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i buy used from a private owner, i reckon they don't need to know my business or what i have or don't have

Thalasso

Commander

i buy used from a private owner, i reckon they don't need to know my business or what i have or don't have

but the gun is still registered to the original owner. If something goes aray it's him they will be looking for.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Forgot the can opener so you're opening them with a .44 mag, hey?

sam60

Captain

So if you take jigngrubs' advice, just go lay down and die....you're too late. You needed to start 1 day before him and have 1 lb more spam to live until Saturday. :faint2:

sublauxation

Lieutenant

It's too late for that too, stores are already taking them off the shelves and not selling them. This will increase the value of the ones people already have, and those that want one will pay a premium for them... if they can find one.

Exactly, the picking is getting thin. I was already offered $100 more than yesterday's purchase price. Then I found another, that's the one my dad is buying. Still casually looking for another, they're out there and not everybody has realized they could be increasing their prices. Accessories is where I think the money will be at, and mags are almost completely sold out everywhere. Actually and literally everywhere.

Spam-n-rice with a little turkey gravy sounds pretty good!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Pmags are going for $80-$100 on ebay, unbelievable.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Mag prices are going to go crazy. I bought some factory Ruger Mini 14 mags yesterday for $35 with shipping. I don't think we'll see that price again for a long time.

The new AR's with english style stocks are going to look pretty funny.

tpenfield

Staff member

What is causing all the gun sales . . . . Maybe the Mayan apocolyspe . . . perhaps Newtown . . . or Santa Claus :noidea:

etracer68

Ensign

Two years ago I was buying a used Winchester 94 30-30 from Cabelas, and had to wait 72hours because of things being to busy. I also went out to a gun show last sat, and it was wall to wall people. Im in the process of ordering a New Ruger Vaquero 45LC from a dealer, and was told it may take a mouth to get it. I think the Newtown shooting has started this mostly. My heart goes out to the families that lost a love one.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

So if you take jigngrubs' advice, just go lay down and die....you're too late. You needed to start 1 day before him and have 1 lb more spam to live until Saturday. :faint2:

Nah, when I started supplies were plentiful and cheap, and if you'd started at the same time or a little after you wouldn't have had any problems.

What I paid $200 for back then, you'll pay $800 or more for now... if you can even find it.

Spam only improves with age, like a fine wine!;)

Being a Redneck does have it's advantages sometimes.

southkogs

Staff member

What is causing all the gun sales . . . . Maybe the Mayan apocolyspe . . . perhaps Newtown . . . or Santa Claus :noidea:
Too political to give you a proper answer to that question.

Though I had been thinking of getting a LCP after the holidays ... then started thinking SKS or mini-14 ... now I'm watching prices. :faint2:

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Too political to give you a proper answer to that question.

Though I had been thinking of getting a LCP after the holidays ... then started thinking SKS or mini-14 ... now I'm watching prices. :faint2:

I was in the same boat as you, wanted an LCP then a mini. The order changed due to recent events. I think I'll be able to get the LCP anytime, just waiting to see if they rescind concealed carry now.

If you call you may still find a mini 14 at an "everyday low price" at wallyworld. Don't pay attention to their online inventory as they don't seem to inventory the display model. I nabbed 2 of them this way and their prices haven't gone up. I went with the mini for many reasons that can be debated but the main reason is that they look "normal" to even anti gunners (I actually polled my clients on Tuesday with pics).

Status
Not open for further replies.