Converting an I/O to outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

macojoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys I have a 1975 wellcraft V20 Cudy. I have had it with the I/O and going to make it an outboard. I have just bought a 1989 175hp Yamaha for it and thois weights about 390 pounds, I also have a stainless Co. gillbracket http://www.stainlessmarine.com/single.html it is the 4th one in the middle of the page. Now I have already removed the inboard and all parts. I have fill the hole first buy removing any bad wood. I left the hole in the transom alone and went into the boat and cut the factory wood to be a square hole. Then I resined the ply. I then took and layed the cloth and reasin on to the ply and put it into the hole, with the fiberglass being about 3 inches larger then the ply so as it could over lap the factory ply. then I covered it with another layer of glass. Then I add a 2nd piece of 3/4 ply in the same manner as the first. Then I covered the whole thing with 3 layers of glass to build it to the factory leavel.<br /> Then on the out side I just keeped filling the outdrive hole with matting an reasin till I filled it out to the transom about 1/2 inch. Then covered it with marine-tex. Now I have to install the gill bracket. I have welded a piece of 3/8 steel flat stock the same size and hole formation as the gill bracket. this will be on the inside of the boat as a backing plate.<br /> Now as for the question. The area were the outdrive went thur the transom is two layers of ply thick and the rest of the transome is one layer thick. What should I do to build this out to the backing bracket? and is there any other renforcement that needs to be made to hold this thing all toghter?<br />Sorry for the long post but wanted to tell you everthing I did so far. Hope you could follow everthing I said. Just don't want to put this thing in the water and have the a#* end fall off. <br />Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Converting an I/O to outboard

Sounds to me your doing really great.... i think i'd shim the bracket with the pieces of plywood you have now... you Could glass it All in if you wish... i think you're going to be Plenty strong enough....

macojoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks alot bondo. I was thinking of using a couple of 5/8 p.t. decking for the shim's. <br /> My only fear is when I am trailering, All the bouncing around? With that much weight back there? In the water no problem, and I trailer every where.<br /> Well any other thought's from anyone I would like to here.<br />Thanks

D

DJ

macojoe,<br /><br />I can see your concern with trailering. The cantilever action can put a lot of stress in that area.<br /><br />Since you are in the building process, here is what I would do.<br /><br />I would glass in "knee" braces from the transom to the floor and/or stringers. What I mean by knee braces is wood or aluminum triangilar shaped pieces. The bigger the better, as long as they fit into your designs. Best to attach them to the thicker wood on the transom. Or, through bolt the upper ends to the inside plate and/or bracket.

macojoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks djohns thats a great Idea!! I have already drew it out on paper, and think it will work fine. I will bolt it to the stringer and thur the top. and glass the bottom corner at the transom. I will have to notch the wood about <br />1/2 X 3 inch were the inside bracket I welded for the backing plate will be. I also think I will use a transom saver while I am trailering. but this will need to be modafied as it will need to be 3 to 4 long.<br />Thanks again guy's !

Virginia

Recruit

I also have a 1975 wellcraft v-20 that I am restoring. I went all the way with it. New 2 x 10 sister stringers, 3 ply transom, What I call wings 3\4" plywood angles strenghten transom to stringers, and of course a new 5\8 deck. We call it the battle ship! In any case im ready to install my gill bracket and 150 hp merc. optimax. I was told by a mechanic that my aluminum bracket corrects for the height difference as the water passes the hull and rises approx. 1 inch per ft. Therfore since my engine is a 25" longshaft, The bracket is mounted 25" up from the bottom center of my hull. I AM CONCERNED , will this theory work? Does anybody know? HELP!

jonesg

Admiral

you need something like this inside the transom, its better to make it the aft end of the stringer but it can be glassed/sistered on and thru bolted.

Attachments

• DSCN6459.jpg
    DSCN6459.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I also have a 1975 wellcraft v-20 that I am restoring. I went all the way with it. New 2 x 10 sister stringers, 3 ply transom, What I call wings 3\4" plywood angles strenghten transom to stringers, and of course a new 5\8 deck. We call it the battle ship! In any case im ready to install my gill bracket and 150 hp merc. optimax. I was told by a mechanic that my aluminum bracket corrects for the height difference as the water passes the hull and rises approx. 1 inch per ft. Therfore since my engine is a 25" longshaft, The bracket is mounted 25" up from the bottom center of my hull. I AM CONCERNED , will this theory work? Does anybody know? HELP!

Welcome to iboats. You need to start a new thread and not bring up one from 2002.

I am going to lock this one and just start a new one with your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.