Yeeha! Thunder snow!

bassman284

Commander
More darn fun. Just had a big lightening flash followed by some grumbling thunder. We're supposed to get some important snow tonight, 6-10 inches, but it's still about 35? and not much is sticking. Just talked to my brother who lives about 30 miles north of me and they have almost 2" on the ground and the airport is closed. He's at 28?.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yeeha! Thunder snow!

Sounds like you got the lighting, and no thunder to match. Had just the opposit. Some drizzle this morning, no lightning and then one huge house shaking, window rattling BOOOOOOOOOM around noon, with a couple of echoes. No lightning, no further rumbles, just one boom and it's over. Kept thinking half the town was blown up by some explosion, but no sirens.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

We will be on the northern edge of the storm, 5-8. Hardly worth plowing.

100-125 miles south of us they are expecting 12-16.

bassman284

Commander

Sounds like you got the lighting, and no thunder to match. Had just the opposit. Some drizzle this morning, no lightning and then one huge house shaking, window rattling BOOOOOOOOOM around noon, with a couple of echoes. No lightning, no further rumbles, just one boom and it's over. Kept thinking half the town was blown up by some explosion, but no sirens.

Kinda funny, about 10 minutes after I posted we got a big blast of thunder, but ever since, it's just a lot of lightening with very little sound effect. Finally starting to accumulate snow even though its still 34?.

aspeck

Staff member

It's supposed to stop at the mountains and just be west and north of us ... Darn it! Only about an inch is expected here ... I am bummed. We are to get an inch of rain tonight.

southkogs

Staff member

Thought we were gonna' get a white Christmas for a few days ... now it just looks like a wet one. Can you imagine a thundering snow storm in Tennessee?? :D I'd have to pop popcorn and sit outside of Walmart for a few hours!

bassman284

Commander

Weird night. About 4 am it started raining so hard it woke me up. Temp was 33? and looked to be about 1" of snow accum. Around 7 am the temp finally got down to 32 and we have about 2.5 in. of soaking wet snow. Fairly messy. Still snowing, also sideways.

TilliamWe

Banned

bassan, latest projections for where I live in IL, is that it's going to start snowing sideways, wityh white out conditions in time for the evening "commute". Only one problem, I don't commute home at 5pm. :( Our shift is just beginning, and I get to drive about 100 miles through this stuff, for about 5 hours, making local "deliveries." At least I get to stay in the truck tonight and tomorrow to avoid the frigid winds and temps.
Hang in there!