Gamefisher 3hp fuel issue

kfa4303

Banned
Hi all. I seem to be having some fuel delivery issues with my trusty old single cylinder, direct-drive Gamefisher/Tanaka 3hp kicker motor. She used to run like a sewing machine and I could get the idle so low you could practically count the rpms, but now it will only stay running at high idle and bogs down/hesitates when I give it throttle. It runs WOT no problemo. I've taken the carb off and cleaned/rebuilt is several times with no change. The spark and compression are the same as ever, but I just can't seem to get it to idle down low anymore. Any ideas? Thanks.

M

mrcrabs

Re: Gamefisher 3hp fuel issue

sure sounds like a fuel issue, I had one that did similar....I finially soaked the carb in pump gas for a few days and cleaned out the tank and replaced all fuel lines and was able to cure it....then I gave the thing away, I recommend getting rid of the factory fuel bowl/petcock setup & line and install new clear fuel line a small 2 cycle inline filter and a briggs fuel shut off, I love the clear yellow line and its UV resistant, also check the tank for the ethanol that builds up after evaporation, it was hard for me to see it throught the yellowing plastic of the tank...the stuff just keeps flaking off and stopping the carb up.
Hope this helps...we have some Tanaka guru's around, Tanaka's are great little dependable runners if thats all you need for power.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Gamefisher 3hp fuel issue

If it was a fuel restriction then would effect WOT for sure. Maybe check/adjust that little idle screw on side of carb?...Carb slide needle is in correct position? Remove muffler cover and check for carbon build-up in exhaust port? Over the years I've occasionally removed the cylinder and carefully free up carbon stuck piston rings...Good Luck and let us know what you find out!