Central heating

Possie0_0

Recruit
Hi,

I bought a used boat, advertised with "central heating". Does anybody recognize the heating unit on the attached picture? There is a copper tube leading to a propane bottle, ducts for warm air and a thermostat inside the cabin.
How does it work and how do you light it?
The reason I'm asking is because the person I bought her from bought her from a Portuguese who in turn was the third owner and did not know anything about it.
Thanks for helping me out - and keeping me warm this spring.

Attachments

• C360_2012-05-01 11-52-03.jpg
    C360_2012-05-01 11-52-03.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Central heating

Heater does not look familiar.

Most of us here in the US, avoid propane gas in the boat for safety reasons.

bassman284

Commander

You may already know this, but I'm going to post it anyway. The reason we're all so much against propane in a boat is because propane in its gaseous state is heavier than air. That means that if you have a leak anywhere in the system, the gas will drop down and pool in the bottom of the boat and stay there. At some point there may be a spark or something that sets it off and KER-BLAMMO! You and your boat are blown to bits. It doesn't really take a whole lot.

About 37 years ago, I blew myself up with propane. Through good luck I escaped serious injury, but I gained a deep respect for propane and learned a little bit about it. A couple of years later, I took a job pulling tankers hauling propane.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Actually lots of house boats use propane for heat and cooking.

Sorry though I don't know much about the specifics. Maybe try a houseboat forum.