Electrical strife

ok well here it goes im in some strife and will start from the begining and see what comes back,

so I have an inboard 350 Chev and pulled the old motor out and have since dropped a completley new one in. however even though ive built a nice new donk from start to finish im stuffed with the wiring and seem to have a short somewhere thats effecting it statrting.;

so whats it doing ?

ok well when i put it all together and started it it would start then run for about 30 seconds then cut out like someone turned the key off. it did this for about 20 starts it stops getting spark to the dizzy then i noticed the brand new electronic dizzy smoking. upon inspection it had burnt out. DAMN dodgy dizzy says me and whacks another in only for it to burn out the remote coil on the new one.

so I add new ignition coil and ignition barrel ... BANG starts first go and runs like a dream. take it for a run runs well , bring home and flush and wash then put away. a day later i went to start it to show a mate and am back to square one , no spark and the dizzy is getting warm again AND now add when i turn the key to the first ignition click ( one before start ) the engine actually clicks over a bit and will spark once on the ignition coil lead but when you turn it over thers no spark. Then when you turn the key off its now turning the enigine in reverse for about a half second causing a backfire up throught the carby.

surley i couldnt be unlucky enough to have bought a dodgy ignition barrell ?

anyone have any advice i can start looking ?

thanks in advance

Re: Electrical strife

not enoght info. what kinda of dizzy are you using. what was the original dizzy. what year are we talking about e.g points etc.
whats the voltage on the battery. sounds almost like the coil is being powered when the key is turned off instead of on so the coil grounds with the key off causing it to fire and with all the unburnt fuel its causing the motor to try spining backwards which proberly isnt doing it a world of good. my surgestion is to remove the boat wiring from the motor then wire the ignition to the motor following a diagram for the ignition system. once you get that part working then look at the wiring on the boat.

Re: Electrical strife

not enoght info. what kinda of dizzy are you using. what was the original dizzy. what year are we talking about e.g points etc.
whats the voltage on the battery. sounds almost like the coil is being powered when the key is turned off instead of on so the coil grounds with the key off causing it to fire and with all the unburnt fuel its causing the motor to try spining backwards which proberly isnt doing it a world of good. my surgestion is to remove the boat wiring from the motor then wire the ignition to the motor following a diagram for the ignition system. once you get that part working then look at the wiring on the boat.

Mate thanks heaps for taking your time to reply . I got fed up with it today and dropped it at the auto electrician . However your reply and diagnosis seems to be very much on the money of what I was thinking . Ill be sure to post the result .

Thanks again