1962 40HP RDS-24 Carb Kit ??

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to get my 1962 40hp johnson running. I have spark on both cylinders with the points set correctly. Fuel is running every where. Fuel is running out of the mouth of the carb just from normal cranking on the engine. I cranked and watched the joke. It appears to be activating based on the manifold pressure. If I crank nothing happens. THen if I let it sit for several minutes and crank it fires right off and runs for a few seconds and dies. Never got a sustained run of more than a few seconds. I drained my test water tank and tilted the motor all the way down. For it to fit in my test tank I have the motor tilt pin on the highest setting. For working on the motor I put it on the lowest setting. When I tilted it down, fuel came running out of the lower exhaust. At least I think it was fuel. When I pulled the lower plug it was soaking wet. Pulled the upper plug and it was moist but not soaked. Like I said when I tried cranking after a few attempts fuel came steady out of the mouth of the carb. I am guessing at this point I need a carb kit. So which one do I need?

iboats shows Sierra 18-7010 for a 1962 40hp. However, when I look at the picture there are only a couple of gaskets and some packings. Nothing for the auto carb components, etc. So I checked the other years showing kit 18-7024 which from the pics appears to have parts for the auto choke. Does anyone have experience rebuilding these early 40hp carbs and does the recommended kit have all of the parts I need?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1962 40HP RDS-24 Carb Kit ??

Depends if the choke needs rebuild or not. I honestly cant remember the last time I rebuild the choke myself.

One thing to note about the Sierra kit, you will not get the float nor welch plug for the low speed idle circuit. The OEM kit covers everything. Just my 2 cents. You could always recoat your original float with model airplane dope, and buy the plug seperately I suppose, but why.

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1962 40HP RDS-24 Carb Kit ??

What is the part number for the OEM kit? On marineengine.com I put in the sierra part number and it appears to have crossed this OEM number 0439074 - CARBURETOR KIT WITH FLOAT. Lot more parts.