alpha one on 25 foot cruiser

agallant80

Commander
I want to here from people who have an alpha one on a 25foot cruiser. I'm going.to order a new boat (2013 stingray 250cs) and am going back and forth on the alpha 1 or bravo three. From everything I have read Ithe only thing I can see is better with the bravo three vs alpha one is the bravo has no stern walk, does not push the boat to one side and better low speed control. In addition to the heavier cost of the bravo3 on my current boat I seam to damage a prop a year not a big deal with an alpha but a bravo is another story. I worry I will be cursing the bravo the first time I damage the prop. So my question is who out there has an alpha one on a 25 foot boat and what are your thoughts.

Excuse the typoes I'm on a flight posting this on my phone. Got to love in flight wifi.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: alpha one on 25 foot cruiser

The Bravo III is also a cone clutch shift, it handles a lot more power and bigger boats. Alpha drives are designed to handle up to 300 hp. If you are getting an MPI small block, you are going to be at max HP for the Alpha drive. Go for the Bravo, if you don't want the Bravo 3, look into the Bravo 2. Same upper, just a single prop lower.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was going to go with the 260HP 5.0

Borderline to to small for a 25 ft boat. You need a 5.7 for the extra torque for getting on plane, HP just keeps you on plane, torque gets you there.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

From everything I have read Ithe only thing I can see is better with the bravo three vs alpha one is the bravo has no stern walk, does not push the boat to one side and better low speed control.

Well, what you read in marketing brochures and what may be accurate in certain boats does not mean that is true for every single boat.

My 270, and others I've read here in the forums with cruisers of this size, will still tend to walk a little bit from side to side, add effects of a current and you'll still be needing to steer and no-wake speeds potentially.

As Don mentioned, you really do want some higher torque/horsepower and I would recommend the B3 especially since you're buying a brand new cruiser; you'll like the results.

The B3 actually makes backing away from a dock rather simple........

Mark

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A 25' boat with 260 HP sounds like a dog to me. I've got only a 20' boat with a 5.7L at 210 HP and it's just adequate.
As for drives, I would get the Bravo 3. That's high on my want list as I shop for a 24' boat.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Like Don said.The Brovo is the way to go.
The single prop is a lot more economical to replace.
Duo props start at 800?(I think).

Also if you destroy props on a regular basis aluminum is the way to go.
The aluminum is way softer and will give long before stainless.
Stainless can do damage to gears and shafts etc??

hnt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to have a Searay 25' Sorrento with a M/C 260 (5.7 liter) and alpha drive. The boat weighed around 5,600 lbs. It was not a rocket but hnever found it underpowered. I had it propped to give the max rpm at WOT. It was easy to get on plane and cruised at 25mph at 3500 rpm and got 2 mpg. I now have a Pursuit 2460 Denali with a 5.7 LX efi and Bravo III. It is more manuverable and gets better mpg but it is lighter and has more horsepower too. Frankly, I think this boat would do okay with an alpha drive too (wasn't an option). One thing to consider is the cost of repairs on the drive. Bravo III's are really expensive compared to alphas. The key is as always. Sea trial any boat you are considering with a full load and decide for yourself.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A 25' boat with 260 HP sounds like a dog to me. I've got only a 20' boat with a 5.7L at 210 HP and it's just adequate.
As for drives, I would get the Bravo 3. That's high on my want list as I shop for a 24' boat.

Out of curiosity, what 5.7 is putting out 210 HP?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Some 5.7 carbed units have a 2 bbl and it only gives 210 hp.
The 4 bbl. makes it up o 260.

agallant80

Commander

Just to follow up on this I know its an old thread. I got the bravo3 great drive night and day. Grip is so much better docking is worth it alone. It has so much more control than the alpha.