Sea Ray 5.7 R&R

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys;

An update and a question,

First I removed the engine to investigate an oil leak. Leak appeaered to be coming from the pan. Changed the pan gasket.
Changed lower shift cable. Removed fuel tank, steam cleaned and preasure checked, all good.

Lowered engine into the bottom-less pit (all by myself, I might add), bolted her down. Checked the alignment and it was almost perfect. I will fine tune it later.

Now the question. In the picture with the arrows, I can't find the connecting wires for those ends. The wires are beige and black. They are coming out of the wiring harness behind the distributor. I have connected the shift assist, and the trim wires. Maybe if somebody knows what those wires might be for, it might help me locate the other ends. I put matching color zip ties on so I could easily match them up.:confused:

Here is a few pictures of the engine going in and the wires in question.

Searay engine R&R 2.jpg Searay engine R&R 3.jpg Searay engine R&R 4.jpg Searay engine R&R 5.jpg Searay engine R&R.jpg

Thanks....

Ken

I ordered the Corsa Captain's Call exhaust for the Sea Ray. Will be shipped January 8th. Can't wait!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sea Ray 5.7 R&R

There is no beige color in the wiring, it is probably a faded wire. Might open up the harness a bit where that wire come out and see what the color actually is. The black is a ground, obviously, and there is typically some ground wires in a harness that are not used.
Do you have Thunderbolt 4 or 5 ignition on your engine?

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have Thunderbolt 4 or 5 ignition on your engine?

Thunderbolt 4. Its wierd because I put zip ties on all four ends and two are missing.

I'll dig a little deeper tomorrow. Have to go to work.

Thanks Don.....

Ken

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

I color zip tied them befor I took them apart. I don't even know if that alarm even works. How would I test it?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I color zip tied them before I took them apart. I don't even know if that alarm even works. How would I test it?

With the bottle empty, the wires should show continuity on a multimeter. When the system's working properly there is an alarm on low drive oil, high engine temp and low engine oil pressure. When you turn the key to ON you should have an alarm condition (low engine oil pressure) and the alarm buzzer should be screaming its head off...

Chris......

Speakrdude

Ensign

Is beige and black. Any of the alarm wires are. Low oil press, low drive oil and hi temp. Light blue is oil pressure sender.

achris

Is beige and black. Any of the alarm wires are. Low oil press, low drive oil and hi temp. Light blue is oil pressure sender.

Duh!!! :facepalm:... I knew there was a light blue wire somewhere...

EDIT: Just realised where I got light blue from... Merc V6 outboard oil reservoir switch wires are light blue. Sorry Ken... :embarassed:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The alarm wires in the harness are not a solid color, they are tan with a blue stripe. That's why I asked him to open up the harness and verify the color. Tan (could be called beige I suppose) is for the water temp sender, and it's on the front of the engine, not back by the distributor as he stated it was.

mohead1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Id like to know how you got that boat off the trailer.......safely......i want to do it with my 210 Wellcraft but about scared to death to drop the dang thing.....

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Two floor jacks and a little game of "leap frog". I put the stand I built under the rear end, then slowly pull the trailer out.

achris

Id like to know how you got that boat off the trailer.......safely......i want to do it with my 210 Wellcraft but about scared to death to drop the dang thing.....

I drop my boat off the trailer whenever I need to do any serious work on the trailer. It's real easy (and safe).

All I do is secure the back end of the boat to something solid (brick pillar, steel post, whatever), then with the trailer attached to the car, slowly pull the car forward. I have a few old car tyres positioned under the keel and the boat comes to rest very gentle on them.

Putting the boat back on the trailer is even easier. Just position up the trailer (NOT attached to a car) to the front of the boat, hook the winch on and start winding. The trailer pulls itself under the boat. Once the stern comes up off the ground the boat slips onto the trailer in the normal fashion.... easy peasy.. :D :D

Chris......