marine oil vs automotive oil

Manfredh

Recruit
Hello

This is not a Mercury question but rather a general question about 4 stroke engines and their oils (engine and gear) and my question is:
Is there a difference between Marine and Automotive oils, other than the price?

Your input would be appreciated, thanks.

Manfred

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: marine oil vs automotive oil

There's possibly a slight difference, but not enough to warrant the cost. See BobIsTheOilGuy.com to learn everything you ever wanted to know about lubrication.

Many use diesel oil in their 4 stroke and inboard boats, like Chevron Delo. It's cheap and readily found anywhere oil is sold.

My WalMart carries 4 stroke marine oils.

Capt Ken

Commander

As long as it meets the specifications set by the engine company.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I used the brand reccommended by the manufacturer until the warranty ran out. Then I switched to a 100% synthetic like mobile one. I change oil and filter every 100 hours. After 15 years my 4 stroke yamaha is chugging along just fine and has had no repairs. Just lower unit oil and water pumps and filters. FWIW

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Automotive oil is not FC-W rated(water) and does not have the zinc additive for wear(damages converters)...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is some very interesting reading Don what all is needed to be done to get the rating; amazing--thanks for posting it.

After reading that, can't ever see why someone would run an oil in their boat that doesn't have the rating.

Mark

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

That is some very interesting reading Don what all is needed to be done to get the rating; amazing--thanks for posting it.

After reading that, can't ever see why someone would run an oil in their boat that doesn't have the rating.

Mark

We love oil threads here on iBoats! There's so many to choose from!

Keep in mind that the NMMA (FC-W) specification was intended for the worst possible conditions for a 4-stroke cycle outboard engine hanging on the back of a salt water boat that is kept in the water year round etc.....

Any I/O engine (which is essentially an automotive engine) [or outboard] that is used only in fresh water, stays in a dry garage when not in use and is only used in Summer, etc..... may not really "need" what NMMA FC-W has to offer........ also, you may note that most I/O engine failures are not oil [type] or oil system related.

Regards,

Rick

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

My boat dealer quietly told me to just use 10w30 in my new Yamaha 150 hp motor. I'm using diesel 15w40 for the first oil change, but will be switching to Mobil 1 after that.

Just because an oil is not TC-W rated doesn't mean it's not as good. It means the oil company has not paid a fortune for some outside oil lab associated with the "NMMA" to do an analysis. Marine oil sales are small in comparison with sales of a major oil intended for automobile or truck use.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

My boat dealer quietly told me to just use 10w30 in my new Yamaha 150 hp motor. I'm using diesel 15w40 for the first oil change, but will be switching to Mobil 1 after that.

Just because an oil is not TC-W rated doesn't mean it's not as good. It means the oil company has not paid a fortune for some outside oil lab associated with the "NMMA" to do an analysis. Marine oil sales are small in comparison with sales of a major oil intended for automobile or truck use.

Yeah.......and the list goes on..........

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On the one hand.....

I can't see trying to save a few bucks with a cheaper oil. With as much as we spend on boating (and the potential repair bills) it just doesn't seem prudent.

On the other hand....

I've never had an oil related failure. Never known anyone to have an oil related failure so long as some kind of oil was being pumped where it needed to be.

Chevy, Amsoil, Mcguiars, 50lbs of air in the tires.

Carry on. :joyous: