Air compressor pressure regulator question.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I have a new compressor and I'm wondering if the pressure regulator should be backed off when not in use. I know that should be done with welding gas regulators (argon ect) so the springs don't get weak and show the wrong pressure, but what about air regulators?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Chris...........

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Air compressor pressure regulator question.

Regulators should be left where you intend to use them. I keep the regulator around 110 lbs.

Main thing I use mine for is airing up tires and a big framing nail gun. My setting is good for both.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Unless I'm planning on doing some spray painting, I just leave my air regulator alone. I set it at max until I lower it to set up to paint...

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Thats a good question and I don't know the answer. I don't back off mine ever unless changing it for some reason but now I wonder if I should :confused:

JRJ

Commander

Never backed my 25 year old compressor off. I do drain the water though.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

My Ingersol rep told me to leave it where it was set on my compressor, which is at 125 PSI, if you have a tool that requires less pressure, he told me to use and inline regulator or attach one to the tool that can be adjusted, such as my air brush. I have normally drained mine about once a month, I am going to install a self drainer.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Our IR compressor uses the same style regulator as our well pump, so I would say no.

Note- For the pump, I clean the pressure regulators contacts every year with a point file and replace regulator every 2-3 years due to burnt/pitted contacts.

bigdee

Commander

achris;4057371 I'm wondering if the pressure regulator should be backed off when not in use so the springs don't get weak Opinions?Thanks said:
Spring won't get weak...set and forget it

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Our IR compressor uses the same style regulator as our well pump, so I would say no.

Note- For the pump, I clean the pressure regulators contacts every year with a point file and replace regulator every 2-3 years due to burnt/pitted contacts.

I wish I only had to clean mine once a year! Those contacts get dirty quite regularly and I am under the house cleaning them, I normally have to replace the switch about once a year. Another thing that is real irritating, in the cold climate I live in, the darn rubber pressure disc freezes up regularly and I have to use a hair dryer to thaw it out at least 4 times a winter, which ends up ruining the rubber pressure disc, I keep two extra pressure switches on hand.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I wish I only had to clean mine once a year! Those contacts get dirty quite regularly and I am under the house cleaning them, I normally have to replace the switch about once a year. Another thing that is real irritating, in the cold climate I live in, the darn rubber pressure disc freezes up regularly and I have to use a hair dryer to thaw it out at least 4 times a winter, which ends up ruining the rubber pressure disc, I keep two extra pressure switches on hand.

I hate when that happens!! (usually -25 and blowing snow GRRRR)

I actually dropped the pressure "on and off" from 45psi on 65 psi off to 40 and 60 psi, does not cycle as much so less wear.

I Got rid of our jet pump for a submersible a couple of months back, now I am concerned the heat we used to get from the jet pump to heat the well house is not there so I need to run the base board heater that's there $$$$

I think we would be good with a long life 100 watt bulb on for heat as low as -10 c.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

I have two air compressors tied in tamden and both regulators are set at 135 psi which is all i can get. The compressors are 1970 vintage, run hard most days, 1 has had the regulator replaced about 10 years ago due to a leaking diaphram, the other is original. Both pressure switches have been tweaked to shut off right before the pop-off valve releases to get the max pressure available. We run moisture seperators on both with automatic drains and have never had an issue with the regulator. When we are spray painting, we have a regulator that we plug into the line and then plug the gun into so we never have to set the tanks at anything other than max.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On mine , I just leave the drain petcock slightly off seated and it blows off what little water accumulates. No need to remember to drain.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

On mine , I just leave the drain petcock slightly off seated and it blows off what little water accumulates. No need to remember to drain.

Tried that, to much cycling of my compressor, which is why I decided to go with an auto drain system.

achris

I'm not talking about the pressure switch for the motor, I'm referring to the line output pressure regulator... Thanks for all the responses..

Chris.......

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I've always backed off the line pressure regulator on my compressors after use. Probably because that's what I learned to do with the regulators on my welding tanks. Maybe I don't need to do that for the air regulator.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I'm not talking about the pressure switch for the motor, I'm referring to the line output pressure regulator... Thanks for all the responses..

Chris.......

Chris,

I was talking about the regulator as well, although, there is really no way to not talk about the pressure switch as well in these types of conversations.

achris

Chris,

I was talking about the regulator as well, although, there is really no way to not talk about the pressure switch as well in these types of conversations.

Granted...

dtj

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a new compressor and I'm wondering if the pressure regulator should be backed off when not in use. I know that should be done with welding gas regulators (argon ect) so the springs don't get weak and show the wrong pressure, but what about air regulators?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Chris...........

Definitely, reduces pressure stress on the entire system, saves springs, rubber hosing, rubber o-rings etc...Reduces cycling on leaky systems also.

An even more important step is to unplug the electrical system when shut down after hours. More shop fires have been caused by plugged in compressors that develope a major leaks or burst hoses during after hours or vacation time, run continuously until they overheat and catch fire......................................Don