92 johnson 140 hp, not power efter turning the key

elmostro

Cadet
1992 johnson 140 hp, won't start if I turn the key, and it won't do
anything, I jump the starter and the ignition systhem works, but
it sound that it need gas.
how do I test the ignition switch or it could be something else?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 92 johnson 140 hp, not power efter turning the key

Lets clarify something first. You turn the key and what happens. 1) The engine cranks but won't start? OR 2) the engine does not crank. Crank = the starter spins the engine. Start = the engine runs. I take it in your case the engine does not crank. While it is common for someone to immediately suspect the ignition switch, that is rarely the problem The engine has a fuse under the engine cover that, if blown, prevents current from ever getting to the ignition switch. When you jump the starter are you indicating that the engine spins over (cranks) but doesn't start? If so, have you checked the kill switch to ensure someone didn't pull the lanyard. That doesn't prevent the engine from cranking, but it will prevent it from starting. Have you jiggled the throttle/shift lever to ensure the neutral start switch is working. That won't prevent the engine from starting but it will prevent it from cranking. Lastly, the ignition switch is not even needed for the engine to run since the engine generates it's own ignition power and is not even dependent on the battery. The only situation where the ignition switch would prevent STARTING would be if the two "M" terminals remained connected in any switch position. That would be extremely rare. Have you actually checked for spark when cranking the engine.

elmostro

Cadet
Re: 92 johnson 140 hp, not power efter turning the key

The engine. Don't. Crank with the key switch, but it does. When I jump the starter. I Check the fuse
and it was good, I also check the throttle level it was on the right position