Small soft spot in the floor

WoodShed

Cadet
My 1973 Chrysler Conqueror has one small soft spot in the floor where the drivers seat is. The drivers seat has came undone. Like the screws that hold it down just stripped out. The fiberglass is not cracked and I stand on it with out worrying about falling in. Should I pull of the floor or just repair it from the top side?

D

DJ

Re: Small soft spot in the floor

Woodshed,<br /><br />Unfortuneately, it's cancer. It usually is ALOT bigger than the symptoms show. I would start cutting into the area until new wood is found.

WoodShed

Cadet

Should I cut out around the soft spot or just cut the whole fiberglass floor out?

WoodShed

Cadet

I am thinking about cutting into it with my pneumatic die grinder. It seems like a reciprocating saw would be to aggressive, may cause more damage than desired.

D

DJ

woodshed,<br /><br />I would start by grinding the area out around the soft spot. Once you have the glass removed, you can feel around and see how far the rot goes. You might get lucky and just have to replace a small section<br /><br />Good Luck!

WoodShed

Cadet

Where the driver's seat post was there is a visible square of plywood exactly the same size as the base of the post. The base of the post is square and wooden with glass around it. When I step on the spot it goes down a little and then it is solid. And when I push down it makes a air sucking noise? Is it possible that there is just foam there and that is why it making the air or vacuum noise?

D

DJ

Woodshed,<br /><br />Could be, you won't know until you open it up and have a looksee.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome, fellow Austinite... I had the same prob. on a old Hydrosport I was rebuilding...found alot more than I bargined for upon closer inspection. May want to start by just probbing the area with a small sharp awl looking for signs of weakness and extent of damage.