Hard Starting 71 Johnson 9.5

I have a 71 9.5 that has always had trouble starting, since I got it. I was using starting fluid to get it going, and was yelled at by many of you for doing so, but couldn't get it going any other way. I have replaced plugs, put in a carb kit, new points but still couldn't get it going without starter fluid. So all last summer I used starter fluid to get it going after which it would start all day with one quick pull of the starter cord. Someone suggested I visit Leroysramblings to set points which I just did. After all this I still can't get it running (I didn't use starter fluid), but pulled a plug and noted it was dry. I would have suspected it to be a little wet. I haven't messed with the fuel pump thinking that it was OK in that I can pump the bulb till hard, and once running, it will pull gas fine.

I'm getting frustrated in not being able to fix this hard starting problem. Please help!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hard Starting 71 Johnson 9.5

If you need to use starting fluid, just make your own.

Get one of your wifes old spray bottles and put premixed fuel into it. The trouble with some of the starting fluids in a spray can is that there is no lubricating properties to them. Using them is only killing your own motor, I wouldnt reccomend it. If it needs it to start, something is wrong.

It is time to revisit the carb, there is still something wrong there.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I think that your carburetor is fine,it sounds like you do not get enough fuel when you try to start. this is probably caused by the accelerator not being open enough for proper starting. Try to put your engine in forward gear and open the gas up to past where it says "start" on your handle this should give you more fuel to work with.
Let us know what happens.

out 2 launch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"So all last summer I used starter fluid to get it going after which it would start all day with one quick pull of the starter cord."

So the problem seems to be the initial cold start? How is the cold start enriched? Choke maybe?

PROBLEM SOLVED! After listening to Hard Trim, I looked back at the carb. But first a little background: I did have trouble with it coughing at full throttle. Looking at other posts, I noted several talking about sucking exhaust fumes under the engine cover. To fix that I drilled a 1 inch hole and ran a hose to the carb to provide fresh air. The hose was preventing the choke from closing. Hard Trim suggested a re-look at the carb which is when I noted the stuck choke problem. I removed the hose, choke closed and it started with two pulls! I believe the hard start was in part due to timing. Leroysramblings gave me the steps to gap the points. With that fixed, and the choke problem solved, runs great!

Thanks for all your help!

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glad my article was able to help on your magneto ignition/points settings. Have a merry Christmas.

nwcove

Admiral

Glad my article was able to help on your magneto ignition/points settings. Have a merry Christmas.

your ramblings have been a valuable resource to many of us here!!! hope you keep adding to them.