Merc 3.0 with Alpha One

T37931

Recruit
I have a 93 Bayliner classic 18.5 footer with the Mercruiser 3.0 and the Alpha One outdrive.
Sometimes I have an issue while on the water. This doesn't occur all the time and when it does it usually doesn't last long.
The best way I can describe it would be to compare it to drive your car/truck on icy roads and you lose traction. The motor revs up and the car shakes but you don't go faster.
My boat does the same thing every now and then. I can run all day on the lake and then on another day it will happen. If I just back off the throttle and then increase the power slowly it will go away after a bit. Anyone?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Merc 3.0 with Alpha One

Sounds like the prop is ventilating. Check for damage on the prop or that the drive is trimmed up too far.

Chris......

Bondo

Staff member

Sounds like the prop is ventilating. Check for damage on the prop or that the drive is trimmed up too far.

Chris......

Ayuh,.... Agreed,... Turnin' to sharply will do it too...

deucescully

Cadet

Sounds like you are cavitating. Ive done it at times when the trim is up too high and taking sharp turns. Even without the turns you will cavitate if the trim is too high and the outdrive comes up out of the water. Next time it happens lower your trim and see if it stops.