RE-painting a Boat

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My brother-in-law is considering buying an old sailboat (make & year unknown). He thinks that blue gel coat was painted white. If it was paintdd and needs repainting, what is the process? Remove all paint (sand or chemically)? Just sand/feather loose paint? Etc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sea ya...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: RE-painting a Boat

If the majority of the paint is still adhering well then I'd sand and feather. Fill any and all imperfections using some home made filler. (Resin, and Glass bubbles mixed to Mayonaise consistency) Sand again using 180 grit. Wash with TSP (Trisodium Phosphate, Get it @ Lowes) then wash down with acetone. Lay down the appropriate Primer. (this is a must) Paint with a good two part paint or if you want to paint on the cheap check the link in my signature below. It's a two part Acrylic Enamel paint that can be used on boats for under $100 bucks.

If the paint is not adhering well, then use some paint stripper and strip it off. It won't hurt the gelcoat.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

It really depends on the condition of the paint that's on it now and what kind of job (quality) was done when it was repainted.

If the paint is flaking off down to the bare hull I would completely remove all of the paint.

If the second paint job was of low quality it might be better to remove all of the paint.

If all of the paint is bonded to the hull well and the second paint job was of decent quality you can just sand it good and repaint.

Prep is the key to a good paint job, if you paint over a poorly prepped surface it'll show on the new paint and the new paint job won't last as long and painting over a well prepped surface.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys. This helps. I'll be going to look at the boat with him soon.

Sea ya...