Steering cable replacement parts?

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Happy Friday all!

Broke the steering cable on my buddies 60's vintage Silver Line runabout. I trolled through iboats & couldn't seem to find what I need.
The "system" consists of a drum behind the steering wheel, the cable runs down both sides, At the OB the cable comes out of the back corner, through a pulley at the OB then back to the corner where it is attached to a spring which is attached to the boat. (Sorry can't get any pictures right now.)
Any ideas? Please?

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Steering cable replacement parts?

Geesh, that's an antique. Look for plastic coated stainless steel cable. I've actually seen people use plastic coated laundry wire but it doesn't last very long.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply Capt!
So I guess I'd have better luck at the hardware store?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

What you have is a classic cable pulley steering system. Many still in use. Maybe a classic, but not yet an antique. I rebuilt mine in the past few years.

All of the parts are still available except for the drum and wheel, but they can be had on EBay. Use 3/16" SS coated cable from Lowes or Home Depot. Perko still makes the pulleys and they are available from West Marine. Cheaper ones are usually on EBay all the time. Look for current production parts since old plastic can get brittle.

I don't remember where I bought mine. Google "Perko" and download their PDF catalog. Then google the part numbers you need and I'm sure several discount online marine stores will pop up with the parts.