84 Chrysler/Force 85 wont run over 5 MPH!! But everything is right I Think...

catfish1981

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys. I love this forum. I post the link on my Catfishing tournament website all of the time. Great ppl :joyous: Down to business. I am mechanicly inclined. I have a 84 chrysler 85. I bought it from a guy that said it ran good,but it sat up about 6 months. He did drain carbs though. Here is the problem. I hung it on my boat and took it out. wouldnt even rais the nose up and at a little over 3/4 throttle, it would bug down n die. I started by syncing the timing and carbs. then tried it. same thing....actually a little worse. checked compression. 135-140 on all 3 bangers. I then got a timing light and made sure that the #1 piston was firing at about 2 in. to the right of the 2nd mark on the flywheel at WOT, which should be between 28-30 degrees. Replaced all fuel and vaccuum hoses and primer bubble. All of that is air tight. I also replaced the fuel pump. Carbs are adjusted 1 1/4 out on the fuel and 1 1/8 on the air. I pulled all bowls on the carbs and they were clean, Verry little seddiment. All floats are moving freely and I dont see any tarnish in the carbs, Also adjusted the linkage in accordance with the forum (Franks sticky). New plugs, and screen is clean in the tank. One thing is throwing me off. When its running, I can pull the #1 and #2 plug wires and it makes a difference. I pull #3 and no difference, BUT I am getting a good spark on all 3 cylinders, (even #3). Been working on this for 2 weeks now and Im getting very impatient with it..lol...Any thoughts on anything I am doing wrong? Or something else I can do? Thanks for any help in advance..Yall are some great ppl helping ALOT of ppl out!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 84 Chrysler/Force 85 wont run over 5 MPH!! But everything is right I Think...

Well, if you meant what you wrote about timing, then the engine is running way retarded. Correct timing would be the group of marks to the left of (0) degrees. If it is three lines, the line to the right of the long center line should line up with the block pointer when running at WOT. If it is a singe line, then it should fall four lines to the left of the long line on the block pointer at WOT.

catfish1981

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 84 Chrysler/Force 85 wont run over 5 MPH!! But everything is right I Think...

Well, if you meant what you wrote about timing, then the engine is running way retarded. Correct timing would be the group of marks to the left of (0) degrees. If it is three lines, the line to the right of the long center line should line up with the block pointer when running at WOT. If it is a singe line, then it should fall four lines to the left of the long line on the block pointer at WOT.

Ok Frank. Glad your on brother. My flywheel has 2 lines. one 0 degrees TDC and the other to the right of it im guessing 32 degrees....where should I time it? The second on the flywheel about 2 in left of the block mark, or the 0 degree mark TDC? I meant in my flywheel mark was about 2 in. to the right of the block mark.

catfish1981

Seaman Apprentice

Im probably confusing you now...sorry Frank. I timed it to where the 32 degree mark was about 2 in. to the right of the block mark at WOT. Is that right or should I time it at the 1st mark at TDC at Idle?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The zero degree mark on the flywheel is practically useless if yo set the engine according to the manual. It is only used to set the block pointer. The second line to the left is 36 degrees before top dead center and is used both the find top dead center with a special tool and to find 32 degrees BTDC at wide open throttle.

SO: At WOT, the 36 degree line on the flywheel should point four small lines to the left of the long line on the block pointer. This will correspond to 32 degrees BTDC. Note that your Chrysler was changed from 32 to 30 due to "Poor Quality marine gas." However, if you regularly use auto pump gas, 32 degrees is still acceptable although 30 is a tad safer

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Stalling under load?? Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.
Check for weak hoses.Any inline connectors?
Tank pickup clogged.
Vent line clogged.
All three plugs burning the same?
Had a problem with one cylinder.Comp 150 all three and under load it would get water in. Even with good comp the head gasket was bad???

catfish1981

Seaman Apprentice

Stalling under load?? Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.
Check for weak hoses.Any inline connectors?
Tank pickup clogged.
Vent line clogged.
All three plugs burning the same?
Had a problem with one cylinder.Comp 150 all three and under load it would get water in. Even with good comp the head gasket was bad???

Hi JerryJerry...I have changed ALL hoses from the motor to the tank. All 3 plugs have a good blus strong arc. Im not getting any water in any of the cylinders or gas. any other sudgestions ......please.....lol...thank you

catfish1981

Seaman Apprentice

The zero degree mark on the flywheel is practically useless if yo set the engine according to the manual. It is only used to set the block pointer. The second line to the left is 36 degrees before top dead center and is used both the find top dead center with a special tool and to find 32 degrees BTDC at wide open throttle.

SO: At WOT, the 36 degree line on the flywheel should point four small lines to the left of the long line on the block pointer. This will correspond to 32 degrees BTDC. Note that your Chrysler was changed from 32 to 30 due to "Poor Quality marine gas." However, if you regularly use auto pump gas, 32 degrees is still acceptable although 30 is a tad safer

Im sorry frank. In new to all of this forum stuff thats what I meant though sir. the flywheel of coarse turns clockwise. I only have 2 lines on my flywheel the one at TDC and one about 6 in to the left of it which is 32 degrees BTDC. I have that mark sitting about 2 inches to the right of the long line on the block, so my timing should be close as per your info. Any other Ideas? Thanks for bearing with me. Im just ready to get my kids a catfishin! :)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7062.jpg104_7061.jpg104_7060.jpg

Here is where you should be. Although this flywheel is on a distributor engine, the timing marks are the same. This engine does not have a block pointer so I have marked reference points in black.

Note that this flywheel had a timing decal. The decal is missing but if you look closely, you will see reference marks stamped into the ring gear.

Also note that the 32 degrees was quick and dirty: I did not measure, just drew a line for example and clarification. If you count the teeth on the flywheel and divide into 360, you will see that one tooth equals roughly 3.75 degrees.

catfish1981

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. thats close to where I had it. Thanks so much Frank...You might just make my birthday good if I can get this boat right :) I really appreciate you.

Nordin

Commander

You have spark at all three cyl. and compression 130-140PSI. No effect when you pull the #3 plugwire.
Sounds that you may have a brooken reedpedal on #3. Does the #3 plug get wet? Or is it dry. If it is dry check the reeds. They are just behind the carbs and manifold.