Water in SX-A outdrive

PeteyDaMan

Seaman
Hi all,

Midway through this past season I noticed oil leaking from around the prop on my boat. A bad prop shaft seal was diagnosed and replaced by a Volvo authorized dealer.

At the end of this season I had my boat winterized like i always do by my local marina. When they were changing the outdrive oil they said that a lot of water came out. They took it off the boat, pressure tested it but couldn't find a leak.

Any ideas? I'm probably going to take it back to the dealer that changed the seal for them to look at it but they got hit pretty hard by hurricane Sandy and are pretty busy at the moment. I don't need the boat any time soon so I'm not in any huge rush but it has me a bit worried.

thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water in SX-A outdrive

Was the drive removed during the winterization? If there is water in the bellows, you will get water in the drive, and it would probably pass a pressure test.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did they replace the gear oil when the prop shaft seal was fixed? I'm guessing it's necessary but just curious. It might have been the same water that intruded while the shaft seal was leaking.

Don, if water in the bellows comes into the drive through the bearing carrier seal, why wouldn't that show up on a pressure test?

Maclin

Admiral

I'm thinkin' a vacuum test is in order, seals can hold one direction but not the other sometimes.

PeteyDaMan

Seaman

they replaced the gear oil when they replaced the seal.
I'm curious about the drive bellows allowing water into the drive but still passing a pressure test. How would that happen? And yes, the drive was removed and still is. they never mentioned water in the bellows.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would agree to a vacuum test then. Maybe a seal, when pushed outwards due to a pressure test, is sealing fine. But a vacuum test could demonstrate a failing seal that doesn't seat properly.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The bellows is what keeps the water out of the ujoint area where the input shaft seal is located. The seal is only designed to keep the oil in, not the water out, that's what the bellows does. So, if there is water in the bellows and you use the boat, water can (And will) get into the drive.
The outdrive also needs to come off at least once a year to check the engine alignment and to grease the coupler splines. Greasing those splines if very critical. Without it, your coupler will fail. Then you get to pull the engine to replace it.