Bottom Paint for Aluminum Boat.

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just received a can of anti-fouling paint that I especially ordered locally to use on an aluminum boat. It's Marpro Aluma Pro.

On the front of the can it says, "PERFECT FOR ALUMINUM". Then, reading the application instructions on the side of the can, it says, "DO NOT USE ON ALUMINUM".

Haha! I figure one of those was written by the sales dept. and the other by the paint chemist.

Anyway, it contains a high percentage of copper compounds and everything I've read says don't use any copper coatings on aluminum boats.

Has anyone used this, or knows anything about it? I sure don't want to risk using it on a classic boat if there's any chance of causing galvanic corrosion.

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bottom Paint for Aluminum Boat.

131 views and no replies, oh well.

I called the company that makes the paint and talked to their technical dept. The guy said, "Yeah, yeah, it's a misprint on the side of the can and it's perfect for aluminum."

When pressed about the copper content of the paint and it's reaction with aluminum, he admitted that the aluminum first needs to be prepared by sanding clean, then coated with a vinyl wash primer, then a two-part epoxy primer, then the bottom paint. Which is similar to the preparation instructions given with other maker's copper bottom paints (when applied to aluminum).

And then, presumably, I'd just hope to never get a scratch anywhere, or a paint crack around a rivet or lap seam so as to allow galvanic corrosion to start eating my boat away.

So anyway, I'm not going to use it. Does anyone know of a non-copper anti-fouling paint that can be safely applied to aluminum and without the laborious and expensive preparation steps I mentioned. Or else, maybe the work involved in scraping barnacles every year isn't such a lot of trouble after all.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

"Misprint"

pfffsst:rolleyes:

At some point in time, a very important person in their company, made a very important decision, and decided to have that printed on the label. Misprint? Ah, I think not. That certainly was not put there my mistake. There was a purpose.

I wish I could help ya but my boats are trailer queens in freshwater.

I'd give iboats or Jamestown Distributors a call and see what they recommend eh.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Google Interlux, Trilux is the paint you want,try this link, not sure if I got it right yatchpaint.com