haunted tilt and trim johnson 90

knott head

Recruit
my tilt and trim goes up on its own. my boat has three switches, one on the front, one on the gear shift and one on the motor. i can raise the motor up and down from the front of the boat no problem. the other two i can lower, but when i raise it, it goes all the way up even if i let go of the up button. and when i lower it sets for about 3mins then raises all on its own. spooky. any ideas?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: haunted tilt and trim johnson 90

Those switches do short out occasionally due to oxidation. The two switches that you're having trouble with.... obviously they're faulty, replace them. Then, if the engine still raises by itself (unlikely) replace the third one on the front.

After that, if it still raises by itself, call a priest because obviously the rig needs exorcising :)

knott head

Recruit

lol thanks joe i might need a preist. it was raning cats and dogs the day it first happend. thanks again .

Capt Ken

Commander

Reach inside the cowling and unplug the switch on the motor and see if it still does it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it still raises by it self after replacing the switches before calling the preist, replace the t/t relays.

knott head

Recruit

will do capt ken, will let u know how it goes 2morrow night. by the way boobie is it very difficult to replace the switch in the gear shift? i dont no how to get it off.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As Capt Ken said try disconnecting the wiring going to one switch at a time before replacing all of them and see what happens. That way you'll find the culprit.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

is it very difficult to replace the switch in the gear shift? i dont no how to get it off.

If you have the standard white OMC control box...... Remove the c/box from whatever it's mounted to. Be sure to have the single control lever in neutral. Remove the allen screw on the opposite side of the box that retains the control handle. Insert a long 1/4x20 threaded bolt into where the allen screw was, then belt the head of that bolt straight down to dislodge the handle from the box. The rest is a no brainer.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect the wires going to the switch in the handle before pulling it off. With two other places to check it may not be the switch in the handle.

reiddo1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sosunds much like the tilt trim on my 79 Evindrude, although it had only one switch. Replaced that one and no difference. Found that the problem was in the solenoid, which on my boat was enclosed in a black tilt trim box on the transom. Worked great after replacing that solenoid with no surprise tilts at all.

knott head

Recruit

thanks for all the great advice guys. now that everthing has dried out it works perfectly fine. however i might half to replace
some switches in the future just to be on the safe side.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When it comes to moisture the one that usually gave the most probs was the one in the throttle control. Keep it in mind.