Lake levels in 2013...

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know its only early December... but looking at my lake(Inland) being down 2.5ft... Im a little worried that here in MI that the levels aren't really going to improve that much over the winter... I know I might be ok in the spring or the first half of summer... but I thinking i may have a really short season next year because of this...

Anyone feel the same?

CHARGER2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Lake levels in 2013...

Same here in WI. I had to go to a different further away lake because the local ones were too low... and winter doesn't look promising so far. The lake we use in MI is river fed and dam controlled so it was fine all year.

okbayliner

Seaman Apprentice

most around my area in ok are very low 8-10 feet or more

salty87

Commander

0.0" rain measured for the month of Nov around here. read a news story that said it was the first time in 100+ years no rain was measured. lakes are way low. lake travis is 37' below average. public boat ramps are closed, don't reach the wet stuff. looking like a bad summer ahead at this pace.

projection for 2013 is to break all-time record low levels. lake travis is only 47% full right now.

of course, that doesn't stop the neighbors from watering their yard. because, a plush yard of rye grass is more important than drinking water. [shakes head]

Friscoboater

Captain

It sure looks like a major drought in the central part of the country. We are parched here is Dallas. This has happened many times before, and our Grandparents stood around talking about it too. The rain will come again.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Lake Huron is down 2'+ - Lots of sand showing the last time we were there in early november, Not looking good. I don't know if I will get out of the marina, I was kicking up mud in october and they are lower now.

LK

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Eastern Ontario - my lake is down almost 2 feet, and I am bumping drowned logs on my way out of the bay to the main body of the lake. I think all boaters in the northern end of the continent are really hoping for a major snow load this winter. Nothing else will fill the tub!

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Docks are sitting on the dirt, ramps are dry, we are breaking records here in Georgia.

southkogs

Staff member

Docks are sitting on the dirt, ramps are dry, we are breaking records here in Georgia.
Better'n that here in TN, but not by much. It'd be nice if y'all up north could have a good snowy winter and let some of that melt run down this-a-way ;)

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

As a lake front land owner on Lake Huron in Michigan, I will agree on the 2 foot drop we are experiencing. I have more sandy beach than I have ever seen in 52 years. We can't keep a dock or a boat on this lake because the beach changes so much based on storms and wind, so it's launch and use daily, but never keep the boat overnight on the water. Lot's of others do keep boats in marinas and river mouths, and they are deeply affected by this low water level. When you think about how much water the Great Lakes is missing right now, it's really hard to comprehend the massive amount. I love the beach I have now, but I know others are praying for rain.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Better'n that here in TN, but not by much. It'd be nice if y'all up north could have a good snowy winter and let some of that melt run down this-a-way ;)

Last year the upper states dumped ALOT of water out of the main stem dams, which kept things at least normal as far as the missouri/mississippi rvr goes. Next year is going to be ugly.... The dams are already at what is basically their minimum levels, so outbound flows are going to be heavily reduced. And so far, this winter isn't shaping up to help much. Southern canada has been dumped on with snow, but that doesn't end up going into the US. (goes to either artic ocean or hudson bay)

I predict lots of fights and lawsuits over water in the next year or two unless we are buried in snow soon!

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia is down 4 FEET. Not much boating going on right now or in the foreseeable future! AEP is keeping water flowing into the lower lakes but at the expense of SML.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Up north, it all depends on how much snow you're going to receive. At this time, there's no way you can tell what's going to happen.

Just go about your day and not worry about something you cannot control.

Only place where one can guess about winter and spring rains in recent years is in Texas. They've been in an extended drought for a number of years--except for one year. While Winter temperatures are reasonable in Texas, Summer temperatures are really, really hot.

Around Lake Lanier and Atlanta, they're caught between a rock and a hard place. Too many northerners have moved into the area to enjoy moderate weather, a low cost of living and a dynamic economy. Now, the huge expanded population is sucking the water out of Lake Lanier--and the Spring/Summer water flows out of the Blue Ridge Mountains has not kept up with the demand for water.
They've been down 12-14' from full pool--a serious issue.

Sometimes people with lakes down 4-5' need to count their blessings.

Our Tennessee River lake is kept level until February when they drop it 3' for seawall maintenance and dock building. We spoiled.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

I'm realy surprised to hear that lake Huron is that low...
I havn't been down to Georgian bay lately but all the lakes and rivers that feed into it from this end are all normal or even a little on the high side.
We had a really soggy fall and now we already have a foot of snow on the ground.
Early November the water was 4"-6" over my dock, lucky for me it dropped about 8"-10" before the river froze over.
Where it is now is pretty much the norm for this time of year.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Shuswap Lake in the interior of British Columbia was only inches from its all time record high early this summer. The last couple years it had been lower than it often is but there was heavy snow in the mountains last winter and rain in June that brought the level up quickly. It stayed high all summer.
It's a natural lake and not a reservoir so it's particular about regional weather. It was cold and wet in Alberta this spring too so there is no drought up here, this year.

chris.j.marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I first read this thread last night and decided no need to post since I live right in between okbayliner and friscoboater. However I did my usual scan of the local news this morning and found this story concerning the lake I visit most often. It was down about 10-11 ft before I winterized in mid-late Oct. I don't think we've seen any rain since then.

City of Altus looking to resolve water rationing problem - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sure looks like a major drought in the central part of the country. We are parched here is Dallas. This has happened many times before, and our Grandparents stood around talking about it too. The rain will come again.

While we are parched in Dallas area, the Lake Lewisville levels are about normal for this time of the year. I have been here for 23 years and after a summer of watering yards and summer heat, the lakes always are always down 6'-8'. In the Fall of 06, Lewisville was down 12', in the spring of 07, it was 12' high. In a 29,000 acre lake, that is a LOT of water!
To our south is a dessert. For those in Texas that want to check on lake levels from the Corp of Engineers, here is their new link.
Water Data For Texas

This will take you to Lake Lewisville but you can select another lake at the top of the page.

Think about it, where does the water go? It can't leave the planet, too much in the atmosphere and it rains. We have the same amount here on earth that was here 50 years ago right? So where does it go? One area to another, in the ground?
Makes one go huuummm.......

haulnazz15

Captain

Think about it, where does the water go? It can't leave the planet, too much in the atmosphere and it rains. We have the same amount here on earth that was here 50 years ago right? So where does it go? One area to another, in the ground?
Makes one go huuummm.......

Well the issue is volume of fresh water. Sea levels are rising (melting artic ice, etc), but the distribution of the fresh water is where the problem lies. If the rain/snow don't replenish the areas like normal, lakes/rivers don't provide water in the areas that communities use for drinking water, and those same tributaries that the Midwest is using to help irrigate crops start running dry. So right away it affects the common joe for water and food stocks. Secondly, that same watershed flows into the the Mississippi River, which is causing all sorts of havok on the the barge/shipping industry. The ramps at one of the local lakes are now unusable, and my only option for putting in was the Kerr-McLellan naviation channel which is kept at a minimum of 9ft in the middle of the channel. Also starts making wildfires a major hazard, as Oklahoma and Texas can attest to the past two years.

jkust

Rear Admiral

The lakes were great in 2012 here in MN. Didn't have a single issue or see any lake (except for one locally that is low for other reasons) that was low. I expect 2013 to be as good or better.

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The illinois river through peoria ran 2 to 2.5' low all summer long, we have a 1/2 mile ride from our marina to the channel and if you weren't on plane coming out you were dragging thru the mud. At one point in July we had to pull our boat bc it was about to be sitting on the bottom in our slip. We hardly got any snow last year and no rain this summer, and they aren't predicting any snow this yr until well into january.......sucks!