Simple spark plug question

dennisopie

Cadet
I have a 1985 mercruiser 470(3.7l) and am going to do a compresion check so I might as well replace the spark plugs while I'm at it. I thought a quick web search would give me the number to get, but I can't seem to find what plug to buy. I don't need an expensive platinum, just your basic plug from a local parts store. Any help would be appreciated. And yes I know that I need to get a service manual. By the way does anyone have a link to a pdf service manual online?

dennisopie

Cadet
Re: Simple spark plug question

Thanks, that should point me in the right direction.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Just an fyi, when i went to purchase my basket case that sat for 2+ years. Before i did a compression test on it, I asked the guy storing it if he had an air compressor. He said yes, so i attached a 2 ft air gun attachment to it and blew out each cylinder recess before i pulled the plugs to get all the garbage out that had settled in there and keep it from falling into the cylinders. He said he was a mechanic and was impressed. I do that every time i pull plugs. Sometimes i get lazy and just use a rubber hose and my mouth when i know i did the compressor thing not long before that.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just an fyi, when i went to purchase my basket case that sat for 2+ years. Before i did a compression test on it, I asked the guy storing it if he had an air compressor. He said yes, so i attached a 2 ft air gun attachment to it and blew out each cylinder recess before i pulled the plugs to get all the garbage out that had settled in there and keep it from falling into the cylinders. He said he was a mechanic and was impressed. I do that every time i pull plugs. Sometimes i get lazy and just use a rubber hose and my mouth when i know i did the compressor thing not long before that.

Perhaps the reason the mechanic said he was impressed is because he never did that and that this might be the same reason he had a basket case for sale.