Replacing Soggy Floor in 16' Sportcraft

Scaughty

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1970 16' Sportcraft boat. I got a great deal on the entire package, however, the floor needs to be completely done over. It is soggy and has severe cracks that someone could put their foot through if not careful. My question is , does anyone have any advice to go about repairing the floor? ? I was planning on ripping up the old floor and putting down new marine plywood and fiberglassing over it. I'd be interested in hearing any ideas.<br />Thanks

D

DJ

Re: Replacing Soggy Floor in 16' Sportcraft

Scaughty,<br /><br />Do a search on this board using the words: "floor rotted", "floor replacement".<br /><br />You should get plenty of hits. Happy reading.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You're on the right track. Get the book Runabout Renovation, by Jim Anderson. Great book. Covers everything you need to get that baby in shape and seaworthy again. Well worth the $20 price. Check at Amazon.

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be prepared to fix the stringers as well. There's a good post going on now about stringer replacement.<br /><br />Good luck

Sandy2

Cadet

Congrats. on this little boat. I had a '67,probably similar, the other guy who talked about the stringers was right. I did mine, tore everything out. Only way.I replaced the stringers with pressure treated, then filled the whole bilge with 2 part urethane for strength and bouyance, covered all that with two layers of 5 ply 3/8" p.t. plywood, and then fiberglass to seal and attach it to the hull inside. The name of mine is OLD GOLD and I gave it to my stepson,after running it for ten years,who runs it EVERY weekend on the Atlantic Coast with the original 40 H.P. Evinrude, and who with my Old Gold, one time, towed my new Scarab out of Sebastian Inlet one afternoon!!!!!!! I was not sure to be embarrassed, or proud of my old boat!!!!!! If you you don't HALF_ _ _ , this project, that boat will last forever. NO CARPET!!!!!! Get some rubberized deck paint and paint the cockpit every year or two.You have a great boat. I now have a big pain in the butt Sea Ray but that little Sportcraft will be more fun, and wonderful. Take her to sea. Just watch the weather before you go. No one should tell you that is just a river or bay boat. Mine has been out 30 miles. Just bring extra gas cuz that old Evinrude is a guzzler!!!!!! Let me know how you DO WITH THIS. Remember, Sandland's rule"THERE ARE OLD CAPTAINS AND BOLD CAPTAINS....BUT NO OLD BOLD CAPTAINS"