Having problems with my 86 force 125 trigger maybe im not sure

ok heres the layout of my problem.... boat was working pretty good, :) i was cruzing about 45 mph and had to slow down for a bridge and after the bridge the motor would only drag ***. so i get home and start testing things like compression spark. compression was good spark wasnt, so i was getting spark on the bottom two cylinders only. so i reversed the two cdi pack wires only going to the coils from top 2 to the bottom 2 cylinders. then i had no spark at the bottom cylinders and i did have spark on the top. so i thought my cdi pack was bad bought a used one on ebay no change in the problem. read some forums to find out my stator was bad. only giving power to one of my cdi packs. changed the stator now have all 4 coils getting spark but no change in the water still slow. cleaned carbs new gaskets for them. changed diaphram check hoses gas etc. still the same old slow. wondering if my trigger/sensor is bad. try the ohms test, readings were in range. dont have a dva meter. also checked all wires and grounds. changed rectifier. the only thing left i think it could be is the trigger/sensor.

help anyone please :facepalm:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Having problems with my 86 force 125 trigger maybe im not sure

Welcome to iboats dawsoncreek.

The trigger sends a signal to the cdi , telling it to fire. Seems it is doing that, as you are getting spark.

Did you double and triple check all the wiring, to ensure it got back to where it was originally?

If you swapped two of the wires, it would be telling 2 cylinders to fire at the wrong time.

When you say slow, do you mean the engine only runs slow, does not rev up?

Or do you mean the engine revs up, but the boat is slow?

Jiggz

Captain

Your initial troubleshooting of swapping the wires instead of the CD packs is quite interesting. When you said swapped wires, did you swap both the ignition coil wires, stator and trigger wires connected to each cd pack? If you did and as you mentioned the spark moved from bottom to top, it means the CD packs are working properly while the stator or the trigger could be bad. The ig-coils and CD packs are good since both top and bottom provide sparks in either configuration.

However, either the stator or the trigger could be bad. so you change the top CD packs and the problem persists. And then change the stator and the spark problem goes away. Now there's the problem of slow boat. Do you mean slow engine RPM or slow boat speed on the water? I recommend re-verifying your wiring to its original configuration and double check it against a wiring diagram. Additionally, re-verify timing.

Your initial troubleshooting of swapping the wires instead of the CD packs is quite interesting. When you said swapped wires, did you swap both the ignition coil wires, stator and trigger wires connected to each cd pack? If you did and as you mentioned the spark moved from bottom to top, it means the CD packs are working properly while the stator or the trigger could be bad. The ig-coils and CD packs are good since both top and bottom provide sparks in either configuration.

However, either the stator or the trigger could be bad. so you change the top CD packs and the problem persists. And then change the stator and the spark problem goes away. Now there's the problem of slow boat. Do you mean slow engine RPM or slow boat speed on the water? I recommend re-verifying your wiring to its original configuration and double check it against a wiring diagram. Additionally, re-verify timing.

ok thanks for the fast reply!!!! ummm every thing is back to original. and sorry for the misunderstanding of my boat speed. the boat fires up like brand new and does not stall a bit starting reversing and back forward just runs perfect it seems, go to give it throttle and it seems to maybe do 2000rpm my guess dont have a tach, the boat pnly does maybe 5 10 mph. it will not plane at all. thanks for helping in advance:joyous:

ok thanks for the fast reply!!!! ummm every thing is back to original. and sorry for the misunderstanding of my boat speed. the boat fires up like brand new and does not stall a bit starting reversing and back forward just runs perfect it seems, go to give it throttle and it seems to maybe do 2000rpm my guess dont have a tach, the boat pnly does maybe 5 10 mph. it will not plane at all. thanks for helping in advance:joyous:

also when i said i changed the wires around this is how i did it i never changed the wires going to the trigger and stator just the wires going to the coil packs to the cdi

Welcome to iboats dawsoncreek.

The trigger sends a signal to the cdi , telling it to fire. Seems it is doing that, as you are getting spark.

Did you double and triple check all the wiring, to ensure it got back to where it was originally?

If you swapped two of the wires, it would be telling 2 cylinders to fire at the wrong time.

When you say slow, do you mean the engine only runs slow, does not rev up?

Or do you mean the engine revs up, but the boat is slow?

the engine runs great out of water put it in gear and give it throttle it seems pretty good out of water. put it in the water it starts fine goes in to all gears without stalling seems to run fine at slow idle manatee zones go to speed up and it revs a little higher but will not do more than 5 to 10 mph . it just wont plane

thANKS IN ADVANCE

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

What's the comp?
Without a tach reading your only guessing??? So are we?
Possible the prop's hub is spun?
Reving up under load, a sick motor will rev up until it's put in the water.
The connections on the stator/trigger. Change them.
They can look good and even pass the pull test, but be bad.
Had a problem with one of my motors, it wouldn't run right so got to testing and nothing was testing right.
Had a know GOOD stator and it wouldn't read right either.
Turns out the connections broke under the shrink wrap.
Or.
Bring it up to Sebastian and I'll take a look???

Jiggz

Captain

also when i said i changed the wires around this is how i did it i never changed the wires going to the trigger and stator just the wires going to the coil packs to the cdi

With this troubleshooting configuration you are basically testing the ignition coils. But also switching the firing of the sparks meaning the timing is all messed up. You said you replaced everything back to its original connections but is this according to memory or according to a wiring diagram? You said the engine runs fine out of the water, but have you tried revving it up a little to see if it back fires? If it does you probably need to double check the wiring again. Better yet do a timing check.

yes according to the wiring diagram everythings in order. yes ive revved it up and no back fire. seems to run really good out of water. no back fire in water. well here is where i stand at this point.... im not a 100 percent on how to use a regular timing light. i did watch a youtube video on a digital analog timing light and it seems to be the easy way to check the timing. but its 100 bucks.. if i knew my trigger was bad i rather put the money towards that.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If your motors running at all??? Then the trigger is not bad.
No spark on 1 cylinder? Maybe a loose wire? Replace the connectors.
Possible th e stator is breaking down under load.
Don't need an analog light. A regular cheapo light will work.
Get any manual, even the bad ones have timing instructions.
I posted the timing procedures in the top post but someone didn't like and deleted it.
You have the plug in connectors?

Now you say it's running and has spark on all cylinders??

Like I said bring it on up.

ok i dont mine doing that.. only problem with that is it would have to be sunday i dont know if that would be a problem for u

foodfisher

Captain

Let us know if it is the fuel pump diaphram.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sent u a PM.

well i found out that my air fuel mixture screws were way out out wack so i will try to take it out tonight and see what happens. from what ive think ive learned is to lightly seat the screws and turn out one turn and like a 1/4 if thats not correct let me know please. thanks

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

One turn out and leave it there.
Or into the bottom,GENTLY!!!
Then out 1 turn.
Start and get warm.
Then as it's running, turn in till it just starts to kick,stutter,stall then out 1/2 turn.
Repeat 2 times.
Idle 1150-1200 in the drive.In the water 800 in gear.

well it was a little late. i already took it out and my adjustments were 1 & 1/4 out from lightly seated. but i am still having the same problem. i give full throttle and the motor will not kick out. the motor revs a little more from slow speed like minimum wake, to wot but it will not go on a plane or over say like 5 or 10 miles per hour. i would like to bring it to you to check it out but money is a little tight right now and i just cant afford to bring it up just yet but maybe soon i can. I look forward to letting you check it out. but in the mean time maybe we can keep trying things or ideas of maybe things i can check to see if its my problem. ya know. im starting to believe its not in my trigger sensor because the motor is running. so what ever you think i should check out i will try to see if it helps. thanks for everything so far.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Is the trim fin in place?
You check the fuel pump?
The tank vent?
Inline connectors?
Take a bunch of pics of ALL parts of the motor and ANY connections to the boat, you have my e-mail send them to me.