1992 Johnson 70hp, water pump pressure?

Carpfisher

Seaman Apprentice
I'm sure I still have an internal water leak somewhere. Either top of the water pump tube or up the driveshaft from the pump or the powerhead gasket that someone suggested. When I had the lower unit off, the w/p tube seemed a little loose at the top. Looks like the only way to access it is to remove the exaust housing? Is that what the next long "neck" piece is called. Then I can get a pretty good look at the bottom of the engine to see what the hecks going on. Looks doable on the boat. Next upper cover and some bolts at the bottom. I can find nothing in my SELOC manual.
Question is, before I do that, can I take a "pressure" reading at the "overboard indicator hose port", on the side of the engine and get an accurate picture of w/p pressure? If so what readings am I looking for?
Thanks Carpfisher in Carpinteria....

Carpfisher

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1992 Johnson 70hp, water pump pressure?

Pulled it apart again last night. Didn't find or get any info on w/p pressure. Now w/p tube seems snug enough up top.
Removing exhaust housing is probably not going to happen 3 of the 4 motor mount bolts are seized. Plus it looks like the power head should/needs to be supported because of it's weight to remove the ex. housing. Can do if necessary, already had to to lift and support when I replaced the steering cable.
Next plan is to bring home my smoke machine from work and inject smoke up thru the w/p tube. I'll let you know where I find/see leaks.