Git-rot?

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone here ever used GIT-ROT? If so whats your opinion and how did it work?

Larry E

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: Git-rot?

I have used an equivalent - the Clear Penetrating Epoxy System (CPES) from the Rot Doctor. I had some dry rot in the plywood transom backing of my aluminum skiff. I drilled a bunch of holes and injected about a quart of the stuff, then followd up by flowing in some regular viscosity epoxy (West 105). It has held up very well. No evidence of the dry rot after a couple of years.

I've also used the CPES to harden termite ridden structural members in my outdoor storage shed. Followed up by injecting 6-10 epoxy to fill the "tunnels" and try and save some members that would have been very hard to get at to replace. Worked good.

Thing to keep in mind with the thinned epoxy: it's not an adhesive, will only harden/somewhat seal the wood. Needs some follow-up treatment IMO.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What is it you are wanting to use the product for?

If you are considering it for Transom or stringer repair, then I would not Recommend it. Transoms and stringers are integral structural parts of your boat that need to be rock solid. These type of products are really only effective when and where you can thoroughly remove all the rotted wood, ensure that the mold, fungus and wetness are all gone and then use the product to fill the voids. Doing this does not guarantee that the structure will be as sound as it was in it's original state. Very few iBoats members have ever recommended it's usage for transom/stringer repairs and I know of None of the PRO's that have. Having said all that, it's still your boat and you're free to do as you see fit. Just passing on the knowledge I've gained here on the forum and my own personal research and study.

Friscoboater

Captain

Yep, what Wood said. If you are using it to repair a structural part, avoid it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Make it 3 no's for use in structural areas

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I've never used it, but from what I've seen... rotten wood in a fiberglass boat is usually wet, and I know for a fact that epoxy products don't work well in moist/wet conditions.

I suspect that products like this are "gimmick" miracle type cures that don't perform nearly as well as they're pitched to.