Strange yamaha start/idle problem...ideas? 2 mechanics couldn't figure this out!

alphadog808

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,
We've been having a heck of a time getting our Yamaha 1990 130ETXD engine to start and idle correctly. Here's the breakdown...

Symptom - Engine will turn over if choke is on. In the very rare case we get it to run normally, the choke has to always be used before a regular start. Once we get it to start normally, it will restart fine if it is done in short periods between. However, if we wait an extended period of time, easily under 1hour, we need to go through the whole routine again.

What is also strange is the engine will NOT start even with the choke IF the silencer is attached. The above is only true with the silencer off...I tried to make sure the silencer wasn't blocking the butterflies(I think that's what it's called).

Things done - Took to a mechanic, he checked carbs, cleaned them out. He also changed out a few soft hoses(not gas lines) as they were soft. He also adjusted pilot screws/idle screw. He got it to start with the silencer...but as above, it worked in the short term, but by the time we got it to the ramp to test again, it wouldn't start.

I've dumped the fuel seperator both in the engine and outside of the engine, verified spark...also even checked the deadman switch just to make sure it wasn't part of the problem...:)

Ideas? Right now, we're looking to get a recarb kit to start from scratch and maybe change the gas lines...what worries me is 2 mechanics couldn't find a definitive problem on this issue...I'm hoping some gurus here might have run into this before or have ideas to try...

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Strange yamaha start/idle problem...ideas? 2 mechanics couldn't figure this out!

Does it have the two piece, spring loaded choke plates? Is the rubber gaskets still on the intake silencer?

alphadog808

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Strange yamaha start/idle problem...ideas? 2 mechanics couldn't figure this out!

Does it have the two piece, spring loaded choke plates? Is the rubber gaskets still on the intake silencer?

Yes to both :(. As far as we can tell there are no obvious missing pieces...