Not peeing at idle

Bucks4life

Cadet
Hello all,

I've got a 2000 Johnson 9.9 Electric start. When I bought it the previous owner said that it needed a new water pump, and there was no water pumping/peeing at all. I've put in an all new water pump assembly, but now it only pee's water at higher RPM's not at idle. I'm running it in a barrel, not with muffs, but I can't imagine that having any negative effect.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Not peeing at idle

How deep do you have it in the barrel ?? The water should be 5 " above the split line of the G/C.

Bucks4life

Cadet

How deep do you have it in the barrel ?? The water should be 5 " above the split line of the G/C.

Not sure exactly, but I'm confident it's enough. If that was the issue wouldn't it be consistent at both idle and higher RPMs? Just a thought.

Thanks

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

maybe its clogged mine gets that way with a small peice of dirt right where it comes out

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Not necessarily; you could be stirring the water up enough at higher speeds for more water to reach the intakes; just add more water to the level and be more confident. Otherwise you must have a restriction somewhere in the system.

Bucks4life

Cadet

Not necessarily; you could be stirring the water up enough at higher speeds for more water to reach the intakes; just add more water to the level and be more confident. Otherwise you must have a restriction somewhere in the system.

Is it possible when I put the lower unit back on that the water pump line didn't seat properly?

Thanks for the input.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Did you grease the grommet and the end of the tube to make sure that the grommet didn't fold over?

Bucks4life

Cadet

Did you grease the grommet and the end of the tube to make sure that the grommet didn't fold over?

No, but good idea. I'm gonna drop the lower unit again an double check. Sounds like a reasonable explanation.

And yes, the intake is clean. It's the first thing I did when I bought it. I thought I was gonna get lucky and fix the water pump issue because it was pretty nasty. No dice.

Thanks for the ideas.