Learned Something Today

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I bought this "rig" in 2004 with an engine what was built in '02. The seller changed the impeller, actually the whole water pump, housing and all, gave me his old parts as part of the deal (whoopie) but apparently he was fighting a stuck shut thermostat that I realized was stuck the first time I took it out and since he wasn't mechanically inclined on OB's he missed the main event....bought the rig untested as I bought it during a recession, in December, and Texas was in a pretty severe drought, oh and the guy had a daughter going off to college and needed to get out from under the payments...... great for me. I didn't steal it, I just managed my opportunities. Grin.

Time gets away from you but since I had everything else done around here I thought I'd pull the LU and inspect the impeller; been 8 years. Impeller had a set to it as one would expect but no cracks or broken blades. Ordered one from the site and tomorrow it will ship.

Reason for the post is two fold. One is the double talk about what gear to put the system in when reinstalling things, per the manual verbiage, and the other is that this is the first time I have been into the lower section of the redesigned Merc mid range that occurred back in '89. I am impressed. It definitely had some mechanics inputs and definitely solves numerous problems that existed with it's predecessors, in particular in helping you to get the LU back into the mid section. My thanks to the Merc design team.

So, having made a comment in a post some time back about which gear to put the system into when you reinstall the LU, it depends. One thing I noticed was that in N the shifter cam in the LU locks solidly in place whereas in F or R it has a range of movement. Course, problem is, when you need to line up the drive shaft splines you need to turn something. Without a pull rope, seems that the turning would have to come from turning the prop and that means putting the shifter in F.

So, in reading back through the text several times it seems that the easiest solution is to slip the interface sleeve over the shifter...it moves up and down and can be set at mid range and lock the shifter in, and then put the shifter in F and rotate the prop to get the drive shaft splines lined up with the crankshaft.

The best part is that the water tube from the pump output to the powerhead is rigidly held in place now and a little 2-4-C grease on the adapter gasket and wala, forget that pain in the..........

Phew.

Ok, so much for my blabbing for today.

Mark.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Learned Something Today

Gee, I still vote for installing gearcase in neutral. I am always able to turn the flywheel with my hand, to line up the splines on the driveshaft.

No doubletalk on that issue, at least not from me....

M

Maxz695

I agree with neutral and turning the flywheel not the prop

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I am a put it on in forward person..always have been due to Mercruiser/Mercury service schools, heck even manual tell ya to put it up in forward and its to hard to reach up and turn flywheel on a 225 Optimax!!!! :D

Dukedog

Captain

My little remote start button thats used for everything ta turn and/or "bump tha motor pretty much solves tha problem!!!

M

Maxz695

I have one thats pretty heavy duty If I can find a place to secure it I might leave it hooked up on he engine. Would come in handy for retiming and compression checks.

Dukedog

Captain

Tha little "pistol grip" I use will wedge perfectly in between tha cavitation plate and can on tha V6 down housin'. Don't even have ta hold it in your hand with gearcase install. Just a slight bump of tha trigger...........Neutral or in-gear.

M

Maxz695

I,ve seen those I have a heavy pushbutton one that came with the 70 when I bought it. Guess they where trying to get it going but they never in a million years would have after what I had to do to it and it,s a beautiful day for testing the rebuild out

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The remote start button/gun works fine for aligning the splines up. I always make sure the kill switch is pulled and remove the prop when replacing a LU. I never use the prop shaft to push the LU together and the cav plate is the best with the Prop removed. Remmber all the safety needs to be done as we do not anyone to get hurt and lose a hand or other attached item. Glad you bought a new toy to work on ,at a fair price, Mark. JMO
Best of Boating, Oldman570