Have a water pump question for a 75 hp O/B Yamaha

movinon

Cadet
I just started my 75 HP, 4 stroke, o/b 2005 Yamaha on my pontoon boat. It sits for months at a time. It fired right up. After a minute or so I looked at the engine to see if there was water spouting out. There wasn't any, so I shut it off.

I then hooked up my hose to the flush out port and still no water spouting out.

I figured the water pump might have froze in place from not using it enough, so I put the boat back on the lift.
When i got back in the house I thought maybe the engine has to reach operating temperature before it sucks water through it. Is this a possibility?
Thanks for any information,
Tom

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Have a water pump question for a 75 hp O/B Yamaha

Not sure why you posted this in the OMC IO forum, will move to the Yamaha Outboard forum.

Capt Ken

Commander

Try taking a small piece of wire and be sure the pee hole isn't stopped up. It should have pee'd with the flush attachment even if the pump was bad

movinon

Cadet

Try taking a small piece of wire and be sure the pee hole isn't stopped up. It should have pee'd with the flush attachment even if the pump was bad

Thanks. I will try that in the morning.
Tom

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

A heavy piece of mono or some weed wacker line should work too, try it while motor is running also so the water will help flush out any junk put in there by bugs.
Try compressed air also if it is plugged deeper than you can reach

movinon

Cadet

Thanks for the help. I just poked a piece of wire into the pee hole and it works great now.
Tom