Question if I'm damaging my engine by running it with no water

big_luke

Cadet
I have a Baja with a Merc 454/Bravo 1 out drive.

I'm in the process of winterizing my motor/changing the oil.

I have the boat in my shop and it always gets messy if I plug water in while running it in the shop.

I've done this a couple of times without problem so far. But wondering if there is anything that I don't know about that I might be damaging.

I've been running the motor with no water by taking off the belt so no water enters the engine. If the raw water pump is not turning (damaging the impeller) and don't let the boat idle more than 10-15 minutes, is there anything else I could be damaging? I know the Alpha drives have the raw water pump in the out drive, but I know that is not the case for the bravo. I'm only doing this to let the oil get hot to pump it out.

anyone think of any damage I might be doing? or is this a safe practice?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Question if I'm damaging my engine by running it with no water

I have a Baja with a Merc 454/Bravo 1 out drive.

I'm in the process of winterizing my motor/changing the oil.

I have the boat in my shop and it always gets messy if I plug water in while running it in the shop.

I've done this a couple of times without problem so far. But wondering if there is anything that I don't know about that I might be damaging.

I've been running the motor with no water by taking off the belt so no water enters the engine. If the raw water pump is not turning (damaging the impeller) and don't let the boat idle more than 10-15 minutes, is there anything else I could be damaging? I know the Alpha drives have the raw water pump in the out drive, but I know that is not the case for the bravo. I'm only doing this to let the oil get hot to pump it out.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...
Nope, not a safe practice, 'n Yep, yer burnin' up All the rubber parts in the exhaust system...

How hot is the gauge gettin' in 10-15 minutes,..?? there IS water in the block, Right,..??

If yer runnin' it 10-15 minutes, with no water flow, 'n the block is drained,..??

I'm surprised it ain't seized up yet....

big_luke

Cadet

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...
Nope, not a safe practice, 'n Yep, yer burnin' up All the rubber parts in the exhaust system...

How hot is the gauge gettin' in 10-15 minutes,..?? there IS water in the block, Right,..??

If yer runnin' it 10-15 minutes, with no water flow, 'n the block is drained,..??

I'm surprised it ain't seized up yet....

well there is some water in the block from the last time I ran it at the lake, but no water flow. I thought about the rubber exhaust tubes after the risers running with no water, but I never smelled anything burning. And they never got any hotter than when I do run it on the hose.
It took 10-15 minutes to heat up the oil as I was checking the oil filter temp constantly while running.

I've only done this once, but can't think of how you can seize up the motor until the motor actually overheats. As long as the oil doesn't break down by overheating.

big_luke

Cadet

well, I've only ran it once to full temp to change the oil with no belt

just a time or two before that to test

Bondo

Staff member

well there is some water in the block from the last time I ran it at the lake, but no water flow. I thought about the rubber exhaust tubes after the risers running with no water, but I never smelled anything burning. And they never got any hotter than when I do run it on the hose.
It took 10-15 minutes to heat up the oil as I was checking the oil filter temp constantly while running.

I've only done this once, but can't think of how you can seize up the motor until the motor actually overheats. As long as the oil doesn't break down by overheating.

Ayuh,.... I asked if the block was Dry, which would lead to a seized motor, in 15 minutes of runnin'.....
Did the temp gauge show heat, or not,..??

There used to be rubber coated shutters in the top of the y-pipe,...
I'm guessin' their burnt up, 'n layin' somewhere in the transom, or outdrive by now...
'n, Yes, you most certainly burnt the rubber couplers, smell, or no smell....
It also puts undue heat into the seals in the drive, 'n the bellows...
Boat exhaust is water cooled for a reason,...
Run it Dry, 'n Yes, yer gonna have Issues...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Gee whiz.... The temp guadge isn't going to show any reading's if it has no water to read from,it probbally boiled out by now. You're rubber part's are are not on good shape anymore either. I'd take it to a reputal marine shop and tell em what you did and have them check it over. It wouldn't be much fun on the spring when all the issues Start showing up.
Grub

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Your problem running the boat without water is not the engine, it's that your heating up the rubber water pump impeller in the lower unit. Heat will distort rubber.

Don't run it without a water muff for a second. Go ahead and make the mess. Water doesn't hurt anything.

And how long has it been since you changed the lower unit water pump impeller? They're a cheap insurance on protecting your motor.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your problem running the boat without water is not the engine, it's that your heating up the rubber water pump impeller in the lower unit. Heat will distort rubber.

Don't run it without a water muff for a second. Go ahead and make the mess. Water doesn't hurt anything.

And how long has it been since you changed the lower unit water pump impeller? They're a cheap insurance on protecting your motor.

Bravo drives don't have pumps in them. He stated he took the belt off the pump on the engine.

big_luke

Cadet

Ayuh,.... I asked if the block was Dry, which would lead to a seized motor, in 15 minutes of runnin'.....
Did the temp gauge show heat, or not,..??

There used to be rubber coated shutters in the top of the y-pipe,...
I'm guessin' their burnt up, 'n layin' somewhere in the transom, or outdrive by now...
'n, Yes, you most certainly burnt the rubber couplers, smell, or no smell....
It also puts undue heat into the seals in the drive, 'n the bellows...
Boat exhaust is water cooled for a reason,...
Run it Dry, 'n Yes, yer gonna have Issues...

I haven't drained the block, it is still holding water.

and yes, the temp gauge was showing above normal. I think it normally reads around 180, but was up to 200.

rubber coated shutters?

big_luke

Cadet

I should also mention this is a through hull exhaust. the exhaust does not exit thought the out drive. But I shine a flashlight and look back in the exhaust to see if there is any damage.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is it worth doing damage just so the oil is easier to drain?

Water cooled exhaust won't survive the temps of running dry. You may or may not have damaged things yet, but why risk it?

tpenfield

Staff member

Yes, I can think of damage that running without water is doing . . . particularly if you are running for 10-15 minutes.

As mentioned, the exhaust components, . . . but I'm thinking that the engine has overheated in some internal areas and suffered some damage, even though the temp gauge may not have complained.

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would you drain the coolant of your automobile, drive it around town and then return home and change the oil? You need a sign.

big_luke

Cadet

Is it worth doing damage just so the oil is easier to drain?

Water cooled exhaust won't survive the temps of running dry. You may or may not have damaged things yet, but why risk it?

well you have to heat up the oil in order to pump the oil out of the pan. You can't pump cold oil out. I just checked the rubber exhaust shutters bond-o was talking about. The rubber is still soft and no sign of of anything being toasted.

big_luke

Cadet

Yes, I can think of damage that running without water is doing . . . particularly if you are running for 10-15 minutes.

As mentioned, the exhaust components, . . . but I'm thinking that the engine has overheated in some internal areas and suffered some damage, even though the temp gauge may not have complained.

until the engine oil exceeds temperatures when bearings/rings start to break down, the motor should be just fine. You start breaking stuff when your oil is not working properly.

big_luke

Cadet

Would you drain the coolant of your automobile, drive it around town and then return home and change the oil? You need a sign.

you need to back out of this thread if all you're going to do is flame. I'm not talking about driving around in a car without coolant.

thumpar

Admiral

until the engine oil exceeds temperatures when bearings/rings start to break down, the motor should be just fine. You start breaking stuff when your oil is not working properly.
You also have to worry about warping and other problems from expansion.

big_luke

Cadet

You also have to worry about warping and other problems from expansion.

that is true. I would say in some extreme cases that could happen.

I probably won't do this again. unless for a minute or two for testing. The exhaust system would probably be my main concern for damage as mentioned above.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you need to back out of this thread if all you're going to do is flame. I'm not talking about driving around in a car without coolant.

You're running a water cooled engine without any coolant. Same deal. Hot spots will develop, and you won't even know as without a water pump your temp gauge is only reading what little coolant is in the area. Bad ju ju.

No flaming here, only trying to help.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

You're running a water cooled engine without any coolant. Same deal. Hot spots will develop, and you won't even know as without a water pump your temp gauge is only reading what little coolant is in the area. Bad ju ju.

No flaming here, only trying to help.

Completely agree... running at idle for a minute or so, no problem.... with the belt removed. Letting it run for 15 mins with no water flowing through ... not a good idea... Far better off leaving the old oil in there till spring, and change it then.