1968 40 hp evinrude selectric shift lower leg problem

zolo

Recruit
First post. I have a 1968 40 hp selectric shift evinrude. I have the lower unit apart replacing top oil seal. The motor was acting up at the end of the summer and would not shift from the lowest speed,just rev out. I had water and oil mixing so took apart lower leg the top seal on the drive shaft rod below the water pump impeller was shot. Ordered parts put everything back did an air test no leaks. Was careful with shift wires not to pinch on reassemble and I decided to check the ohmns on the lower leg. I have a reading of 2.6 ohmns. The manual states I should have a reading of 5 to 8 ohmns. Does this mean the guts inside the leg are shot? I know these can be expensive to fix and a pain. Do you think the low ohmn reading indicates why the no shifting from low gear. Or would it be worth trying this when the ice thaws and see what happens ? Any replies would much be appreciated I have learned so much from this site just reading over the last few months.Thanks to all who post great knowledge out there.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1968 40 hp evinrude selectric shift lower leg problem

How did you measure the coil resistance? Each individual wire to the case, wire to wire, or ??

zolo

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. I did one wire at a time with the other grounded to the case. Blue wire other to ground, then green wire to ground. Is this correct?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Before tearing it apart I'd try another ohmmeter and see what you get.

zolo

Recruit

I will try with new meter. I will reply once I can confirm my readings on another and hopefully a more accurate meter.
Thanks

zolo

Recruit

Thanks, it been a while I tried a new meter the readings were 8 ohmms is now the reading on both wires. I will put the lower leg back on the power head and hope for the best once the ice is gone. Long snowny winter. Thanks for the advice I just would have never thought about the meter.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner