30 HP 2008 Yamaha outboard does not start

spysea

Recruit
I have a second hand boat and have erratic starting problems. Before launching and on launching on the water, the engine starts properly. After having run the engine for approx 20 minutes and then at anchor for approx 60 mins, engine wont start. To conserve battery I use the starter cord to get the engine to cough up smoke. It starts on electric thereafter. [Pulling the manual choke does not start the motor]

This pattern repeats itself when it is on water and there is a stop-start scenario.
Once the boat is back home and we are flushing the engine with fresh water,it starts on first attempt.
So the logic of cold engine is not sound, especially in the Australian summer.

I have the same problems on unleaded fuel or high octane fuel. I have had the engine serviced and had similar erratic start issues thereafter.After not using for a month or so, the engine starts on fist attempt when we are testing the boat prior to taking it to the boat ramp. It also start OK on the first attempt on water. I have never had problems starting the motor at home in winter or summer. Always starts on first attempt.

So what could stop the engine from starting when the boat has been in the water for some time??

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 30 HP 2008 Yamaha outboard does not start

Could be no spark, not enough fuel, or too much fuel(flooded)

Spark is easy to test with a spark tester or even a timing light
Not enough fuel can be checked by spraying some fuel mix into carbs

If that does not find the problem then it is probably flooding.

I have had a leaking head gasket cause spark plug to get wet and not spark properly after running on water before.
Have you pulled spark plug to see if it is wet with fuel or water when it will not start?

spysea

Recruit

I did remove the spark plug and found that it was quiet wet. With the spark plug removed I hand cranked the engine a few times to clean out the chamber. I cleaned the sparkplug but even then is did not start.

What can cause the engine to flood when on the water? What does it do differently while on land for a long period of time?

What should I look for as a possibility of the source of flooding.

I read a post that also stated that the Yamaha motors have problems with the elec choke.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked to see if it has good strong spark? when it will not start?

Have you checked compression?

Have you checked to see if choke plates are operating properly?

Does primer get hard? Have you checked fuel pump for leaks in diaphragm
You are not giving much info on what you have checked or maybe you have not checked anything

Capt Ken

Commander

First lets figure out what you are working on. Yamaha didn't make a 30 hsp engine in 2008. The last year was 2002 for the standand engine and 1998 for the C30.

spysea

Recruit

Have you checked to see if it has good strong spark? when it will not start?- We were on the water when the engine did not start. I did remove the cover and spark plug but did not crank it to see the spark. Too dangerous while at the end of the boat.

Have you checked compression?- Nope, I do not have the facility to do so

Have you checked to see if choke plates are operating properly?- I have not checked. What do I look for?

Does primer get hard? Have you checked fuel pump for leaks in diaphragm- Priming bulb gets hard, cannot see any leaks in the fuel system

You are not giving much info on what you have checked or maybe you have not checked anything- Going back to my original post, this problem never happens when my boat is at home(even when starting after a month). The engine works fine after being launched. After driving around a bit and then trying to restart is when the problem happens. I am not a engine mechanic. I did give it for service and I was told that the linkages that connect the lever (next to the ahead and astern throttle) were incorrect. It seemed to work for a while but the problem seems to be have come back. Time to find another Yamaha mechanic maybe.

spysea

Recruit

Hi Capt Ken,

The boat was built in 2008. The engine is a 30 HP (Horsepower) engine.
The engine model number is 30HW; The other numbers are 611TK,L,1012678 on the engine plate.
It is a two cylinder two stroke engine.

I removed the sparkplug and the inside of the cylinder seems to be quiet dirty, which I think is unusual for a petrol engine.

Another bit of conflicting information for fuel/oil mix is as follows
The manual states 1 Lit fuel: 0.04L Oil
A sticker on the engine (next to the manual choke) states Fuel 100: Oil 1, Hence 1 Lit Fuel: 0.01L Oil

Which of these is correct?
The sparkplugs are oily as well.

Hope this information leads to something.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If you do not have the knowledge or the tools and equipment to troubleshoot this motors problems
then you have a couple of choices.
Take it to someone that does
or pick up the Yamaha service manual for your motor , read it, and pick up the proper test equipment

where are you located ? This is not a US model and I have not seen a 2 cylinder 30 for many years here in the US

If adjusting linkage solved problem last time then maybe someone has tried adjusting things, it should not be changing by itself..
I believe Yamaha said 100:1 but came back to 50:1 just to keep internal parts lubed up longed between run times

Capt Ken

Commander

Just as I thought, you're working on a European model. But the basics are the same.

spysea

Recruit

Gents,
Thanks for your comments.I live in Brisbane Australia. I have since found that the higher fuel/oil ratio was for running in the motor. The ratio needs to be brought down to 100:1 during normal running. I have been adding too much oil which probably causes the sparkplugs to foul after some running thus making restarts harder.

I will give it a go with the correct mixture as well as get a Yamaha mechanic to look over the linkage setting.

Thanks once again!