Can I build my own hydraulic Jackplate?

Snagtooth1

Recruit
I am wondering if anyone out there has built their own hydraulic Jackplate? I am pretty sure I can figure out the mechanical part, (maybe) but have no Idea what to do about the lift mechanism. I have a low budget in mind for this project and can not justify the expensive factory built plates. This is for a 115 h.p. outboard. Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome.
Brian

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Can I build my own hydraulic Jackplate?

do your research. the structure is the cheep part (about $300 if you pay someone to make it, about $75 in materials if you build it yourself) hydraulics cylinders in quantity of 1 and a hydraulic power unit in quantity of 1 are going to be your biggest expense. use $550 for an oildyne 108 series hpu and about $500 for a one-off stainless cylinder. from there, add $60 for hydraulic lines. you may be able to find an integrated used unit for about $400

when you buy a pre-made jack plate, they buy components by the hundreds if not thousands and pass along the economy of scale to you. suddenly that $800 pre-made jack plate with a warranty and instructions sounds cheap.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

you can actually use a grease gun to raise a jack. It is slow but it works a lot of track equipment uses that.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats.

I also like to make my own stuff whenever possible, why pay for something when you can make it yourself eh.

This would not be one of those projects my freind, the forces involved here are really astronomical, jack plates are made from 1/2'' aluminum plate and use huge hardware.

As Danforth pointed out, by the time you get all the parts together for a hom made jack plate that will actually keep your engine attached to the boat you may as well scour Ebay for a used one and save money and time, remeber, if your design doesn't work not only do you lose all the time and money you put into your jackplate, you lose your engine too which wil not save you any money at all.

This is not saying you can't do it just that I wouldn't, there really is alot involved and if you had a real budget that would, help, doing stuff like this on the cheap rarely works out.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

But 5150abf, you're a professional aluminum fabricator.

Transoms and jack plates are not things to jack with. First time your motor breaks loose and is deep six'd, you'd wish you'd just shelled out the money.

Check on EBayMotors.com for boat parts. I'm sure hydraulic jack plates show up pretty often on there.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I am wondering if anyone out there has built their own hydraulic Jackplate? I am pretty sure I can figure out the mechanical part, (maybe) but have no Idea what to do about the lift mechanism. I have a low budget in mind for this project and can not justify the expensive factory built plates. This is for a 115 h.p. outboard. Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome.
Brian
Not to put too fine a point on it but if you have to ask then no.

as stated above it would cost more for most folks to gather the parts than to build one...

Check out craigslist... search every city close enough to drive twice a day and act instantly when you find a deal... You'll come in FAR cheaper and safer than a DIY project

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I'm of a different opinion... Assuming you can find a competent welder, the physical portion of it shouldn't be too bad. As far as powering it, just find an old scrapped outboard with a tilt/trim cylinder on it. Its going to take a little creativity, and it might not work out perfect the first time, but there is no reason not to at least try it.

OP... instead of being vague about the plans, describe what you are planning and people can MAYBE give you an honest opinion about how feasible it will be. Just as a FYI, just the metal to build the thing will cost a fair chunk, not even counting the labor for someone to prep and weld it.

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

For a good welder you will probably be looking at $100 per hour, hes go to cut/prep then weld it so you will be most likely charged 2-3 hours just in labor and you dont want a cut rate welder doing the job. Welding aluminum is not easy.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

also don't get me wrong... I'm not saying it can't be done but that MOST but maybe not all of the people that could reasonably take on this project would have no need to ask the question.

I could build it and likely for very close to free BUT I could much more easily locate a used one needing a little tlc for cheap and end up with a nicer unit to boot so I wouldn't bother cobbling one together.

64osby

Admiral

You don't say what make and model, ebay usually has several hundred tilt trim units listed. Just a matter of finding one that fits yours. Unless it's a OMC mid 70's, then look for a used CMC unit.

Snagtooth1

Recruit

OK All!!! Thanks for the wealth of information!! This is a great Forum. Because of the input, I will keep an eye on Craigs and Ebay for a new or used unit for this application. The self educated Engineer in me is still wondering "who manufactures those lift motors?" or " I wonder if I can find an old outboard tilt motor?"
I promise not to do anything stupid.
Thanks again for the input.

Willyclay

Captain

Why not skip the hydraulics and make your first attempt a manual version to save a bunch of $$$. Check out this link below:

Jack Plate Plans