74 50hp Idle Adj is screwed all the way in

Kiwi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 74 50hp Evinrude. The idle adjustment screw needs to be scerwed all the way in for it to idle, and then it idles way to slow and will most times stall. It looks like the timing arm doesnt come all the way back either. Where should I start to adjust things ?
I've just done a carb rebuild and its running very smoothly now, but I remember this adjustment being the same before I started.

Thanks for any advice.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 74 50hp Idle Adj is screwed all the way in

How's the compression and the spark on it ??

Kiwi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Compressions are 130 & 135. How would I check the spark ? It always starts well and runs smooth, except for the slow idling. If I use the cold start fast idle to slightly increase the speed it will idle all day, but then you cant shift it into gear.

w2much

Lieutenant

Sounds like a linc and sync should be done.

Kiwi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've done a link & sync, twice actually. Someone had obvioulsy had a go at it before and things were quite a way off. Today out on the lake I also noticed that the fast idle lever creeps up slightly when you throttle up so that when you come back to idle the throttle does not return all the way. I'm sure I can fix that. Thanks for the help & advice given on this and other threads, my outboard is running smoother than it ever has since I've owned it. Summer has arrived in New Zealand and it appears that I am now all ready for it ! Cheers

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What link & sync procedure did you use? If the fast idle lever is creeping up you did something wrong. That process also includes throttle and shift cable adjustment. Link & sync is accomplished with the cables disconnected. They are adjusted last when everything else is done.

w2much

Lieutenant

Compressions are 130 & 135. How would I check the spark ? It always starts well and runs smooth, except for the slow idling. If I use the cold start fast idle to slightly increase the speed it will idle all day, but then you cant shift it into gear.

As silvertip says.

Kiwi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I followed the procedure in my Service Manual, (well though I did at the time) but remember in the beginning I didn't have the cables disconnected. Might take another look at the weekend. Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Could you post a pic of that screw you are talkng about ?? A good side view of the linkage ??