Console Location

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking for some help designing the console of my project boat, actually locating the console.<br /><br />I have a 15' fiberglass V-bottom runabout with a tiller 25HP Big Twin that I'm turning into a center console "sport fisher."<br /><br />Does anyone have any suggestions on how to locate the console fore and aft so I have reasonable performance? The console will have a seat on the front and a cooler-seat behind and will typically have 2 people on board.<br /><br />Are there any formulas that will help me distribute weight in the boat for good performance? <br /><br />Thanks in advance!<br /><br />AJY

crab bait

Captain
Re: Console Location

in WW 2,, the airplanes built by the USA were built by ' if it looks right it is right '... they didn't have computors & such .. and they didn't have time to mull it over.. they had to be built by 'YESTERDAY '..<br /><br />just think the P-40, P-51, P-38, my favorite P-47 THUNDERBOLT.. ect..<br /><br />all built on that same said formula..<br /><br /> <br />what i'm gettin' at ... really ,, only you can look at at your own boat & see were it needs to be..<br /><br />there's no formula that i know of.. <br />but believe me.. where ever you decide it'll be right on the money..

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go to some boat yards and/or a dealer of some volumne. There should be something along the lines of what you are building. Another source is the local launch to get a feel for what people in your area like in their boat selection. I have two center consoles and they both are in similar locations. They both work well, the boats are not similar in layout or power. The locations are similar in that they are centered toward the rear of midpoint. One is a flatbottom with little deadrise, and one is a deep Vee with good deadrise to rear. My personal feeling is that the Vee hull is situated too far rearward and I constantly have to consider weight forward in order to see over the bow. <br /><br />Point is that even factories make mistakes in placement. If possible, try a couple locations by temporarily mounting the console and running the boat...

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input. I can't help myself, I'm the quintessential anal engineer. I have to have order to everything I do. The way I plan to route the control cables will allow me to easily move the console for and aft to find the best balance. Now I'll need a GPS, a stop watch and some graph paper and I can satisfy my egg head impulses! Thanks again for the help!!

cannonfodder

Seaman

I changed my old 14 ft Sunray from speedboat to center console because it was hard to get off the beach over the front. I was probably lucky but better lucky than good any day. I put a swivel seat on the front on a raised deck all the way from the console back to the bow. This was 1/2 way from the original floor to the gunnels. I considered this might be a little tippy and low up front when I stood there. This didn't happen. I put as much weight as possible in the middle. It rides wonderful. I used 1/4 ply & woven roving(this is rugged stuff). Hope this helps. Go for it.<br /><br />Bryce (sorry for being so long winded)

ironpirate

Cadet

Bryce,<br /> How did you cut away the Hardtop portion of fiberglass on the bow. Does it cause any structure problems? If it was a bowrider, did you have to modify the frontal area any.? I've thought about trying to turn my old 16 ft. Mark Twain into a center console, but it's not a bowrider. It has a solid fwd. deck.

cannonfodder

Seaman

Maballance; I just cut anything out that got in the way. I know this sounds bad, but replace front bow top structure by continuing rear deck style top to bow. With the extra raised denk it is muck ruggeder(is that a word?) than new. I used 1/4'' ply to get the right shape. Bryce

ironpirate

Cadet

Bryce, did you fabricate your own console? For the gunwales, did you use plywood also? My biggest worry is forming.

cannonfodder

Seaman

Maballance I did all that with 1/4 ply,sheetrock screws and fiberglas mat.Take the screws out after you get the first layer on and hardened. Use little blocks in the corners to connect the top of the new gunnel with the new side of it.Hope this helps. Bryce

ironpirate

Cadet

Thanks Bryce, I believe you've given me the courage to try to see this one through.

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice

Bryce,<br /><br />Do you have any pictures of your project? Can you post?<br /><br />Is there anything you would have done differently in hind sight?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />AJY

ironpirate

Cadet

AJY,<br /> I'd like to see how yours progresses also. I'm still tinkering with wiring and power thus far. I did have someone tell me that some boats will lose rigid support with the deck cut away.

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice

I'm in the early planning stages of my project. I'm trying to line up parts and such. I'll take pictures and post as I go. I want to finish up this season and then I'll have a nice winter project.<br /><br />Someone had already cut the bow out of mine before I bought it. They built a nice raised deck and bolted where the bow was cut out. Based purely on my boat I would be skeptical about not reinforcing it by leaving the platform in place. The bulk of my project will be building the console and finishing the raw edges where the previous owner cut the bow as well. I'll keep you posted... You do the same! ;)

cannonfodder

Seaman

If I had to do over I would be a little more fussy with the ply in getting it the right shape. Other than that it is great and nothing ever suits me the first time.<br /><br /> Bryce