Why Wimps go South........

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Why Wimps go South........

You are never really a man until you endure a full winters wrath. :joyous: The ice-storms are definitely fun.

southkogs

Staff member

... offended by the "wimps" down south part (I'll try to send you a few gully washers), but it was a good video. Kinda' miss it sometimes.

salty87

Commander

as a long-ago transplanted yankee (mass.), it's more a question of intelligence than guts. lol

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

as a long-ago transplanted yankee (mass.), it's more a question of intelligence than guts. lol
I was born into north-country, so any intelligence lost was due to frozen brain cells not developing in my early years.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

... offended by the "wimps" down south part (I'll try to send you a few gully washers), but it was a good video. Kinda' miss it sometimes.

I updated the original post. You shouldn't be offended anymore. Only snowbirds will be.........:doh:

I'm with kory.........:laugh:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

meaning.....

not intelligent enough to drive in the snow? :D

southkogs

Staff member

I updated the original post. You shouldn't be offended anymore...
I shoulda' puta' :D in there ... I didn't mean it so seriously. Sorry to do that to ya'.

I grew up in Michigan, and still love going up there for some fun in the winter. I really miss skiing and snowmobiles. I love it when it snows here in TN, it's simply beautiful. BUT, I also like that it's simply beautiful for about 48 hours and then we're done. Kind of a "cheat." :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I shoulda' puta' :D in there ... I didn't mean it so seriously. Sorry to do that to ya'.

I grew up in Michigan, and still love going up there for some fun in the winter. I really miss skiing and snowmobiles. I love it when it snows here in TN, it's simply beautiful. BUT, I also like that it's simply beautiful for about 48 hours and then we're done. Kind of a "cheat." :)

Neither did I!

My in-laws are in Michigan...... Someday I hope to be a snowbird....... Best of both worlds..... :D

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

OK Being Born and Raised in Tucson AZ, but living the past 26 years in Colorado, Yeah I can see "Southerners" as wimps, but I love it when they come to visit and line the Ditches......

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I once spent 5 weeks above the tree line in the Colorado mountains in January. The Army called it winter training, I called it freezing my ***** off:snowman:, dose that count.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Southern Alberta Nov 1980 something or another.

Winter EX, -45 c winds gusting to 90 KMH (steady at 60 KMH ) someone said it was -105 C with the windchill!!!!!! BRRRRR

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You slip on the ice and fall down going out to your car to start it in the morning.... but it'll be ok to drive on it eh!

foodfisher

Captain

Portland, Oregon's silver thaw aka freezing rain was my last experience. It's also going to be my last experience. Not going anywhere toward the cold.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I worked in Jamestown, ND for a week one December. I locked the keys in my rental car @ -33 degrees F., and about froze my tail off. People there talk about "down in Chicago", 650 miles southeast. I remember how short, dark and relatively heavy the waitresses were in Hooters--completely opposite of Hooters' waitresses in The South.

My hat's off to all the fine people in The Dakotas taking care of their cattle herds. You could be like the rest of your row crop only friends warming your heels in South Florida for the winter.

After living through a couple of tough winters in Indiana after college, I swore off living anywhere they didn't have first class pig barbeque. That limits me to living south of the Ohio River and east of Texas. I just cannot stand snow anymore.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I worked in Jamestown, ND for a week one December. I locked the keys in my rental car @ -33 degrees F., and about froze my tail off. People there talk about "down in Chicago", 650 miles southeast. I remember how short, dark and relatively heavy the waitresses were in Hooters--completely opposite of Hooters' waitresses in The South.

My hat's off to all the fine people in The Dakotas taking care of their cattle herds. You could be like the rest of your row crop only friends warming your heels in South Florida for the winter.

After living through a couple of tough winters in Indiana after college, I swore off living anywhere they didn't have first class pig barbeque. That limits me to living south of the Ohio River and east of Texas. I just cannot stand snow anymore.

Well, if you live near Florence you'll see some kind of frozen precipitation nearly every year... what's up with that place anyway??? The snow/ice corner of 'Bama.

sasto

Captain

That is a good video, WIMUSKY. Thanks for sharing. If my income and livelyhood didn't rely on being around the water year around, I may just have moved back to the mountains of West Virginia or a cottage on upper Lake Michigan. Love it there!

That said...having traveled much farther south than Florida over the years, I can say life is really tough for some of those people that many of us can never understand. I've had many a northener come down here in the summer to go offshore fishing. Most spend their time inside in the A/C due to heat exhaustion and seasickness. I don't consider them wimps, just not used to weather.

Have a good day and enjoy wherever you are at.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Sometimes I curse my ancestors for settling up here 200 years ago. You'd think after the 2nd or 3rd winter they would have realized winter sucks up here. But then Sasto makes a great point about heat. You can always put on more clothes but you can only take so many off.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Well, if you live near Florence you'll see some kind of frozen precipitation nearly every year... what's up with that place anyway??? The snow/ice corner of 'Bama.

The Mid South (No. Alabama/No. Georgia/No. Mississippi) sees more black ice than snow when there's inclement weather. And we seldom see many weeks of really cold temperatures in a year. We own heavy coats, but seldom even wear one.

I just feel for much of the country that has to deal with mountains of snow week after week throughout long winters. Cabin fever is real, and it's very difficult to live with. But when the sun comes out, the snow is white, the skies are blue and days can be gloriously beautiful.

When the weather breaks, everyone yearns to head for the lakes.

southkogs

Staff member

Sometimes I curse my ancestors for settling up here 200 years ago. You'd think after the 2nd or 3rd winter they would have realized winter sucks up here. But then Sasto makes a great point about heat. You can always put on more clothes but you can only take so many off.
The same way y'all wonder what you were thinkin' in January ... we wonder it right about July :rolleyes: Heck, you don't even get in the water to cool off down here ... it's darn near as hot as the air!