Tiny holes in fibre galss, how do I fill em and what with?

Paterson00

Seaman
I want to ensure that these chips and bumps in my hill are no issue so I want to fil them to be sure. I dont think they are but the element of doubt is still there. what should I be filling them with?

DSC_1272.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Tiny holes in fibre galss, how do I fill em and what with?

You dont actually need to fill them with anything to prevent any other damage. Its not gonna get any bigger then you would normally have to grind out for a proper repair.

I would investigate how much the gelcoat would be for starters ..

Can you give us a year/make/model please :)

I would fill those with some patch gel filler and then spray/sand/buff those.

YD.

Paterson00

Seaman

You dont actually need to fill them with anything to prevent any other damage. Its not gonna get any bigger then you would normally have to grind out for a proper repair.

Can you give us a year/make/model please :)

YD.

Its a glasscraft bowrider made in 1981. I have some other photo's in my earlier questions. I have only recently bought it and its my first boat. I know next to nothing about boating and I have to do a fair bit of work on this one to bring it up to what it can be. The previous owner merely serviced it and used it for fishing and crabbing. I want to use it as a family boat for days out with friends too so want to pretty it up real good so have lots to learn.

Regarding your comment "I would fill those with some patch gel filler and then spray/sand/buff those." What type of paint is fine to use to spray back over repairs? I have another question asking all about this. The top half of the boat was originally orange and someone has done a fairly good job of spraying it white to match the lower half but it some places the paint has flaked off to reveal the orange. I want to touch up these areas. Can i just sand them back to get a good key, prime it then paint with spray paint and if so do I use car spray paint or is there something else I should be using because its a boat? I want it to work well rather than guessing and bodging it. My hope is that I can imporve the value of the boat and trade up at a later date when I have gained some boating experience and no longer crash into the dock every time I park.

5737gde_20.jpgDSC_1323.jpgDSC_1325.jpgDSC_1334.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Give YD the link to your other thread. He may see or read info there that may help w/ questions here.... Or spot something no one else has caught in the pix